Tips for Guides

• Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

6 to 8 Tobin Lake boys are headed down to Devils Lake for a guided trip with Perch Eyes Guide service and a few of the guys were wondering about tips. I was thinking tips in the 125/150 range per person would be reasonable. Trip is 4 nights acc./3 days fishing. Trip cost is $475.00 . Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks

sandmannd

My opinion on tips in general is wait and see the service. Now days it seems people think they should be a give. You are already paying a lot for a trip, see the service you get and judge from there. It’s not even about getting you on fish, it’s the time you have with them and what they teach you.

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

As a fishing guide I never expect a tip. I do my very best to make sure my clients have a safe and positive experiance and if at the the end of the day they feel thay would like like to tip me for my hard work then I except it with great gratitude. Sometimes its not how many fish you catch to measure how your guide did but, did he/she:
    a. teach you something?
    B. were they accomidating?
    c. did I have a over all positive outdoor experiance?

Merry Christmas

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Seems pretty generous

Although i think your numbers are in line only if……….

They do what everybody else has suggessted above in their comments!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

As a fishing guide I never expect a tip. I do my very best to make sure my clients have a safe and positive experiance and if at the the end of the day they feel thay would like like to tip me for my hard work then I except it with great gratitude. Sometimes its not how many fish you catch to measure how your guide did but, did he/she:
    a. teach you something?
    B. were they accomidating?
    c. did I have a over all positive outdoor experiance?

Merry Christmas

X2 :waytogo I never expect a tip, and my day is priced according to my time and the expectations set. My goal is to teach someone to be able to duplicate everything we did, and understand why. If someone feels I went up and beyond and their willing to pass a little extra my way, I’m very grateful!

Paul Delaney

As a fishing guide I do not expect anyone to give me a tip If someone chooses to give me a tip it is a decision that they made based on there overall experience. I am a fisherman I am not a magician there for I can not nor will I ever guarantee that we will catch fish if I did that that would mean that I had total control over the fish which none of us do. What I will guarantee to all of my customers is that I will do my very best with the time that we have to provide them with the safest most educational,and productive fishing trip that I can. I have all different types of customers who come fishing with me and what I feel is very important is that prior to us going fishing is to ask each customer what they would like me to do for them. What I mean by this is sometimes I have people hire me just to go fishing they really don’t care how or where we are catching fish they just want to go Other customers are good fisherman themselves but they are either new to the area or wanting to learn new water and new techniques. By me knowing this then I can have those who want to learn things be part of what I am doing and I can explain in full detail so that they understand what we are doing or how I am setting things up. It is very important to give my customers what they would like to see me do and have a good time in the boat or on the ice. Keep people happy and make there time with you enjoyable and safe and they will most likely be coming back to fish with you again along with recommending you to other people.

Paul Delaney

http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

I am a first mate on a charter boat. that being said tips are a part of my income. I work to hep people catch fish and learn how our boat works and so on. most people tip better when we have more success while this is not always a direct result in how hard i work to get them a fish. however some people do understand it is called fishing because you don’t always just catch fish. these people in general tip no matter the outcome of the trip. As it seems you all are fisherman and understand that its fishing not catching you should as everyone else has said tip on how well they work for you whatever that means for you. A normal tip for me was around 50 our trips were 600 a pop however some people tipped more best tip last summer was 150 i don’t know exactly how the guide system works but hope this helps a little

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.