New Reel for Ice Fishing, Grease…

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

When I have purchased a new reel for icefishing, I have attached it right to the rod from the box. I’ve never cleaned out the factory grease or even tempted to add grease. There have been times on cold days when fishing that the grease is very stiff and,well, I just deal with it until I work the grease by reeling and all is fine. I’ve never been down and out, but it’s a little frusterating at times.

So, what do you guys/gals do with new reels to prepare them for the ice season as it relates to lube?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Quantum Hot Sauce!

x2

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Quantum Hot Sauce!

x3

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Quote:

Quantum Hot Sauce!

The guys are right on, just make sure you tear the reel apart and clean out all of the old grease. A spray degreaser or hot water and dish soap will work. Then apply the Hot sauce and reassemble. Saves a lot of frustration on the ice.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Quantum Hot Sauce!

Grease, right?

So, do I just scrape out the the factory grease as best as I can and replace with Hot Sauce Grease?

blufloyd

dismantle, degreaser or carb cleaner, hot sauce liquid.

Here’s a tip for unknown prospective reels for ice use.

Put in freezer for a couple hours if it is problematic take it back.

I seem to remember that Presidents are odd in that some are stiff and some aren’t after this.

cichlid_baby

I have always just used WD-40 to clean out any old grease. Then re-apply grease. For ice fishing I just use white lithium grease. That’s all it really is anyways. Just repackaged and marketed for the sports market. Can’t believe how many pay the price for the small tube of BRANDED grease.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Grease, right?

So, do I just scrape out the the factory grease as best as I can and replace with Hot Sauce Grease?

Grease for the gears – oil for the rollers and bearings..

Your much better off washing the oil and grease off completely.

Just look when you take everything apart-you will see what’s greased.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Can’t believe how many pay the price for the small tube of BRANDED grease.

Knowing what your getting instead of gambling is why

cichlid_baby

Quote:

Quote:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. But we need more folks like you.. The economy needs you.

Something else you shouldn’t pay any attention to since you don’t believe in seeing through the Marketing hype:

Cold Snap reel bands = livestock castration bands

http://www.coldsnapcover.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=118/prd118.htm

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c2d0-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&item=16947&ccd=IFF003&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=16947&adtype=pla&kwd={keyword}&gclid=CMq5tLjjnLQCFehDMgodqREARg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. But we need more folks like you.. The economy needs you.

Glad I was able to entertain you! Not everyone understands the property values of grease and can select a “generic” version that has no water absorption factor, Corrosion Rate Determination that is suitable for the parts in their reels, and has virtually no Oil-Grease Separation. Am I to assume you have an advanced education in Metallurgical/Corrosion? Not everyone knows one tube of grease from another….or one type of oil from another. Its obvious that not are all manufactured equally!

cichlid_baby

Who’s trying to sound more edumacated here????

Are you telling me you can’t tell the difference between picking a grease for your $20 ice reel ($60 if you’re anal) and using a grease that would be needed for the Mars Rover?

Didn’t I already specify “white lithium grease?”.. if you are curious.. google the specs on it. Tell me if it doesn’t surpass any condition you would find for applying it to your fishing reel for use in winter ice conditions.

What a joke?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

($60 if you’re anal)

If $60 = Anal, then what does a $250 Quantum Tour Edition equal? From your response it’s obvious that you really don’t care what the difference in Lithium is that you use. That’s fine. Some on here don’t care what is factory grease and will use it until their reel falls apart. Others try to gain the most amount of information they can and get the absolute most out of their equipment. We all know many products have a generic equivalent or other origin that will offer a substantial lower cost. Others want a designated product that is specific for their use that they don’t need to spend their time researching every stinking detail out to save a couple dollars.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Boy oh Boy ciclid…

Your last 2 posts (out of 3) are quite something…

I’m just saying…..

Welcome..I think …

cichlid_baby

See.. this clearly shows how brain (BRAND) washed you are and unable to make an objective comparison.

Repackaging an already known product that is commonly used in one industry and purposing it for resale in another niche industry does not equate it to being a “Generic” by any means.

It’s just simple “marketing and advertising strategy 101″… and quite SMART!

cha ching !!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Simple, buy a tica cetus gv500 reel no grease needed.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

http://www.coldsnapcover.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=118/prd118.htm

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c2d0-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&item=16947&ccd=IFF003&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=16947&adtype=pla&kwd={keyword}&gclid=CMq5tLjjnLQCFehDMgodqREARg

Honestly, thanks for these links, saves me about 10$ easily! Had no clue.

I understand where Randy is try to get to. I, myself, have not clue where to start for reel grease,and to be quick and painless, I can run into Fleet Farm and out in less than 5 mins by grabbing Hot Sauce. To me, its more about convenience… Although, I will looks into the white lithium grease, any suggestions?

And welcome to IDO!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Something else you shouldn’t pay any attention to since you don’t believe in seeing through the Marketing hype:

Great way to make new friends on IDO mr cichlid_baby from what I’ve seen Randy has had some great info he has shared on this site, as for you not so much in your first 4 posts

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Something else you shouldn’t pay any attention to since you don’t believe in seeing through the Marketing hype

Quote:

Who’s trying to sound more edumacated here????
    Are you telling me you can’t tell the difference between picking a grease for your $20 ice reel ($60 if you’re anal) and using a grease that would be needed for the Mars Rover?

Didn’t I already specify “white lithium grease?”.. if you are curious..

What a joke?

Quote:

See.. this clearly shows how brain (BRAND) washed you are and unable to make an objective comparison.

Repackaging an already known product that is commonly used in one industry and purposing it for resale in another niche industry does not equate it to being a “Generic” by any means.

It’s just simple “marketing and advertising strategy 101″… and quite SMART!

Know what guy….In some circles your posts could be interpreted as personal attacks….just say’in..

You make some valid points BUT your delivery needs a little work…

onepine
    Elk River

Hot Sauce is not the same as white lithium grease. It is more the consistency of Marvel Mystery oil and red in color. We have even stopped using white lithium at work and switched to a synthetic. Much better consistency, lubricating properties, cuts down maintenance cost and operator time spent greasing equipment.

BTW +1 for Hot Sauce in the ice reels.

cichlid_baby

Not speaking about HOT SAUCE in particular but there are others in the industry.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

IceNutz, they are the same or are very similar. The Cold Snap includes a tool (no pun intended) that is shaped like a long funnel. Just roll them up and over onto the handle.
    Though, we have some castration bands at my farm that are much wider for calves with only one or morphodited testicles and I agree with you on those, you need a TOOL.

cichlid_baby

I think that tool is called an Elastrator tool that stretches the bands out if I remember correctly.

On the other hand, many ice guys just use a modified funnel. Cheap and simple.

It’s not like you need to do several hundred of these things at a time.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Another tool that works ok is the Collar pliers for the rubber collars on the skirted jigs.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

The bands sold by Cold Snap are essentially the same as the castrator bands. I have bought and used them with the same funnel end that came from the first batch that I got from Cold Snap at last years ice fishing show. Cold Snap has them made in large lots in custom colors (I’ve only seen them in green in farm supply stores – they also seem to get used on minnow bags by some bait shops), splits them up and packages them with the end of a funnel that they cut off from small funnels that they buy in bulk – cheaper than having that piece manufactured. This info straight from the guys at Cold Snap from a converstation at this years portable mod get together at Thorne Bros.

onepine
    Elk River

DH Custom Rods put the Bands on my rods and he used that small funnel set up works really well as I do not like the tape on my rods. I have the green ones but a different color would be nice.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.