Sounds simple-Propane Safety learned the hard way!

• jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I am sharing a couple of propane incidents that happened to me this year and last year. I know this may seem very simple, however it is very easy to overlook these things when fish are on the bite, fingers are cold, or just in a hurry to get set up and get out fishing! I know all too often I am in one of these “categories”.

Scenario #1. I was fishing Red Lake last winter and it was very cold. I was fishing in my Otter Pro Lodge portable in which I typically run a 20lb propane tank with a Mr. Heater sunflower head, however today I was using a couple one pounders on the “cook top” style sunflower. Long story short, I could hear the heater losing its power and I was getting cold. I noticed the frost line almost to the bottom of the propane bottle. With cold fingers and some waldo slime on them, I attempted to “quickly change the pounder”. In order to screw in the pounder propane bottle faster with reverse threads of course, I put the bottle upside down and set it on top of the sunflower connection as it would sit there level and screw in easier. This is where I should have known better, however with no GLOVES on and cold fingers as soon as I continued to screw the bottle on; the seal was broke open and what appeared to look like mist/smoke/fog propane came gushing out and pretty much froze and stung my entire hand. Luckily, I was not burned super bad however this all happened without even lighting the heater yet. Like I said, I learned my lesson, however thought I would share as I do not want this to happen to anyone else. I spent the rest of the weekend with a burning sensation in my hand.

Incident #2 While out fishing a couple days ago, it was not very cold but I had the sunflower with a 20 lb tank set up for when it got colder at dark. I had just caught 3 fish and the flasher was light up with red lines, in a hurry to keep fishing but also getting cold. I decided to quick light the sunflower head. As I attempted to light the sunflower head, I light a match and then brought it close to the sunflower head just as I always do. However, for whatever reason, even though I had only pushed the button in for a second to allow the propane to flow; it all blew up about 10 inches and of course went straight into my face and partially torched my eyebrows and eyelashes. I think we have all done it to our wrist, arm or jacket however this happened so fast I was caught off guard. It did not hurt at all but it did make my eye lashes stick together- after a few blinks it was fine.

I know that this should have never happpened and I am the first one to admit it, it was stupid. The only reason I share this, is because when we are in a hurry, on a hot bite, and thinking fish fish fish, we do not always think clearly. Another lesson learned, use a lighter to allow one hand starting instead of matches and wear gloves. The fish need you, and full functioning hands are a must!

Good luck fishin,

Jake

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Well said. All we need here is some ice!

dld24

I bought a big buddy after my.cooker decided to shoot flames at me Everytime….love my buddy so far worked perfect at red lake

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.