Discussion: Best Minnow Heads for Tipping Spoons?

• mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I generally use fatheads, be they regular size (walleyes) or crappie minnows (panfish). I know there may be regional differences, but is any one using anything different???

Mark

Burr

Salties, from emerald shiners.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Mostly fatheads. On occasion a shiner or chub to mix it up.

BBKK
    IA

Shiners if I can get them! They have a little more flash on them and they are very oily which I believe helps with scent dispersal. Problem is, nobody sells shiners around here so you have to net your own.

tbrooks11

Has anyone tried the preserved packaged minnows you can get at fleet farm or gander? Just an idea

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have tried them and frozen shiners. The heads/tails get real mushy after a short period of time and will fall off with aggressive jigging. I prefer live bait heads/tails when using jigging spoons.

If you haven’t tried jigging with the tails give it a try, I find that the tails work best when the fish appear to be finnicky.

jasono00
    cities

Quote:

I have tried them and frozen shiners. The heads/tails get real mushy after a short period of time and will fall off with aggressive jigging. I prefer live bait heads/tails when using jigging spoons.
    If you haven’t tried jigging with the tails give it a try, I find that the tails work best when the fish appear to be finnicky.

X2

BBKK
    IA

+1 for tails! I use tails all the time on spoons and even gill pills. Bluegill and crappie love them. Sometimes if I’m low on bait I’ll whip out the knife and cut small chunks off the middle section and use them as well. Anything meaty gets a hit.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Right on Mike, couldn’t agree more. Frozen = mush.

I too prefer shiners. Rub the back of your thumb on the head and scales of that shiner and put it down the hole to see those tiny silver scales flutter everywhere.

I feel like the larger ones have a harder head, but can disrupt the action of your spoon. Some days the fish want the spoon, other times it’s just a delivery-method for the minnow head.

Fishing a live minnow head also allows me to smash the head after a few minutes instead of putting a fresh one on, while still keeping it on the hook. The more scent and real fish-parts we can put in the water near our baits the better when the fishing calls for it!

Joel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.