How far am I going to have to drive?

• Jake_A

So I have Sunday and Monday free of classes. I live in River Falls-how far do you think I would have to drive to find somewhat fishable ice by then? Also fishing off a dock by a marina wouldn’t be bad either. Anyone have any help? Looking for WI ice.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have friend in the Hayward area and they said do not come up Grindstone etc still open water.
    Perhaps call Hayward Bait and Tackle etc
    Mwal

bsully23
    Pittsville, WI

Quote:

So I have Sunday and Monday free of classes. I live in River Falls-how far do you think I would have to drive to find somewhat fishable ice by then? Also fishing off a dock by a marina wouldn’t be bad either. Anyone have any help? Looking for WI ice.

Idk man, but I am in the same situation, I go to UWRF and don’t have class until Thursday, there isn’t much for ice anywhere. I was thinking about making a long distance trip (Red Lake,lake of the woods, or Devils Lake), unless I find something closer that’s worth making the trip.

bigpike

Grindstone is a huge deep water lake, one of the last to freeze over, In the same area by Long Lake, friends were fishing a relatively small lake and had a solid 4″. There is plenty of small water to be had if you research and be careful in Hayward if you are looking that way….

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jake:

IMHO Snow is going to be your biggest enemy!!! Ty Sennett wrote in a report from yesterday that there is 4-6″ of ice on the Chippewa Flowage and 4″ of snow.

I have fished now for four days and found 4″ on Monday and am still finding 4″ as of yesterday, so no ice is being made currently. Our weekend storm is not going to help anything either if we don’t get more bitterly cold behind it orrrr it just rains instead of dumping 2-3″ of heavy wet snow.

I would look to smaller lakes in that immediate area, Hayward, Spooner, maybe 30 miles to the south of there wasn’t too much snow. Then I would look for little lakes under 100 acres and the shallower the better, say under 30′ deep.

I would help with lakes names but in the Amery area, I’m betting that they got too much snow. I heard the Turtles had gotten a fair amount of snow, so most of those lakes (White Ash, Blake, etc.) probably aren’t going to be so good and you would have to drive further north.

Again, looking for smaller shallower lakes without much snow from your last storm!!!

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.