Colored mono, flourocarbon, braided???

• rcn_brian
    Andover, MN

I fish primarily Fireline Crystal in the winter and Fireline smoke in the summer. If I think the fish are finicky, I will tie on 2 feet of flourocarbon at the end. What do you prefer in the winter? I ask because I have bought an ultralight combo for my dad and father-in-law for Christmas.

My father-in-law usese both Fireline and mono on his rigs, so I bought him 4lb Fireline crystal – I know that is what he prefers as he sometimes fishes deep water. My dad has always fished mono. He has been using 8lb mono on his light winter rod. I am planning to put 6lb Trilene cold weather electric blue line on the UL rod I got him. I would have done 4lb, but he tends to hook quite a few pike while crappie and pan fishing on the lakes he fishes. He mostly fishes in 18 fow, sometimes up to 24 fow. What do you guys think? I appreciate any and all tips/advice on this. Oh, and I bought them the Clam True Blue UL with the bite indicator built in. I have a medium action True Blue that I have been pretty happy with.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

on my panfish rods i use stren hi-vis gold or trilene cold weather in 2 or 3lb test. usually never more than that and i fish crappies down to 30 fow and have never really had a problem with break offs or hook sets with the lighter line. some people will also say the bright line scares fish and fish can see it but i’ve never had a problem and always catch fish plus you can see it against the ice.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

I also use a gold colored line but mine is Suffix Ice line. I’ve never noticed a drop in fish caught compared to fluorocarbon. Like posted above it helps contrast the ice so I can see.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Last year the guys at Thorne Bros turned me on to Pline and it worked great. That said it wasn’t my only line. When heading out for panfish I would have one setup up with Pline and one with Suffix Ice braid. On the braid I would use a flourocarbon leader of 12″-18″.

I love the sensitivity of the braid but some days the other line was the hot way to go. Probably the most interesting thing I discovered last year was how line could affect my catch rate.

Just fishing spooling up my reels for the season tonight. yep, some with Pline(4 or 5lb), some with Suffix braid, and by bobber rod wth mono. One disclaimer on braid. I’ve used it hole hopping but it can have freeze up issues.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Does anyone have issues with that braided line with ice freezing into the braid weave? I have always thought it would be terrible for ice fishing in cold conditions so have never used it.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Either a gold or a red line.I like the Cajun the best.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I use Flourocarbon both in summer (along with braid and mono) and winter. I like that it sinks, is thin and has no stretch.

My reasoning may be flawed, but I feel like I can detect bites better and get the lure down faster.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I use Vanish in 2lb for perch fishing often to 70 feet of water. If I’m after eyes I’ll go to 4lb vanish. I don’t like braid in the winter.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

I primarily use Asso heavy…its a floro and the only colored floro I know of. I also like pline floroice.

http://yourbobbersdown.com/assoline.html

OSSO ,Absolutely the best line out there!!!!!!!! pulling in a 59 inch sturgeon last year through the ice is a testament to that. Been using it 2 years now.

I cant stand using braided on the ice. To hard for me to tie knots. My experience is the small diameter frays easy and kinks in the line start to appear.

And when your on the site order some tungsten fiscas.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Yes, freeze up is an issue. However if it’s cold, I’m inside my portable and not a concern. Great way to feel a light biting crappie at 30 feet.

Paul Delaney

In shallow clear water I would recommend using either a flourocarbon line or monofilament but when fishing deeper water either clear or stained and fishing in a ice house you will be able to better detect bites along with get greater hook sets using a thin braided line with a flouro leader attached.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.