Help – Fish Flasher Explanation

• johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

I have a flasher, it’s my Grandpa’s so I’m not sure on the make or model but I figure it’s better than nothing.

My issue is I’ve never used a flasher before so I don’t know what the lines represent.

The picture I’ve attached is a generic picture off the web.

Would the line at 14′ be the lure? What about 23′ and 25′ and I’m guessing but it makes sense the red line at 27.2 is the fish, then what is left the bottom?

Thanks and sorry for questions but if I don’t ask I’ll never learn.

mojogunter

I would guess that at 25′ would be bait/jig and 23′ could be a weight, or fish at 25 and jig/bait at 23′. Fish of any size though would show up as red.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I would guess that 27.2 is the bottom and agree with the earlier response.

My advice would be to go out on the water and play with it. I got my first flasher four years ago and there was no substitute for trial, error, and practice. Drop your lure down and watch it fall. See where it hits the bottom. Hopefully you’re on fish and you can see them come up to your bait. etc.

Have fun!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I would agree with both of the responses above. Red’s generally the bottom, though it can be orange/green as well and it generally won’t move. Mojo’s got the bottom stuff dialed in regarding the two echoes. Your question regarding the line at 14′ is the reason for my response. To discern, move your line up and down. You will see that if all are related to things on your line, they will all move up and down in response to your jigging. If one of the lines doesn’t move in direct correlation, then you are probably looking at a fish and based on the color as mentioned before its probably on the outside of the cone. That means you need to do a little bit more to entice it closer to your offering. As it moves in closer, the line (or mark) will become red. If you were on the outside edge of a weed bed, you could be looking at very sparse weeds and could expect to find more by moving closer to shore or hump if you were in more open water situation.

Mark

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

Thanks guys, it all makes more sense to me and like was said I’ll just have to play around with it but at least this gives me an idea.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Another helpful hint is the colors of the “marks” (if yours is a colored unit). Red signals are the strongest, yellow-medium, and green weakest. This can help to determine bottom compostions (Rock=red signal, sand=yellow, muck=green). Also, a red signal usually indicates the fish is closer to the center of your signal cone. As others have said, go out and put on a larger bait. Jig away and this will give you a solid idea of how to read within a few minutes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.