Need help with spring bobber install

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Trying to install a spring bobber on new rod and havent issies. The front eye is too big to use the correct sized heat shrink tube that holds on spring. Tried next size up shrink tube but it wont grip the tiny rod diameter. Any help would be appreciated very much. I need to get this thing on or the rod is not useable. Thanks.

Can you heat up the top eye and remove it for a bit while you affix the spring bobber?

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

You can use electrical tape instead of heat shrink. Just put the spring bobber where you want it to be on the end of the rod and then apply the electrical tape. you can wrap as many times around as you want but usually 4 or 5 wraps is enough.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Both good answers. Thank you.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I thought of that but this not a cheap rod so I hate even heating the shrink tube on the blank.

bowtie

Go to Thorne Bros. They make a spring bobber that will fit into your eyelet.

Keith Fischer

Why not use some wrapping thread and wrap it on. I’ve used
    mono line to wrap one on before also.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Go to Thorne Bros. They make a spring bobber that will fit into your eyelet.

Nobody makes a spring bobber as sensative as HT in my opinion and its all I have used for years. On all my other pan rods. Wrapping not a bad idea! I can wrap in two spots as long as I remember how to tie it off then put some epoxy or even nail polish on it. I will try it tonight.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Can you heat up the top eye and remove it for a bit while you affix the spring bobber?

This was it. Took a whole 2 minutes to complete. Thank you.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

If you are having issues with this ever again, one way to avoid removing the eye is stretching the shrink tube. My cousin and I discovered this last year if you buy a small shrink tube then insert a closed small pliers (or we used a surgical suture clamp) into the end of the tube and then slowly open the pliers, it will stretch the tube, repeat until it fits over the eye. Keep in mind however it will only expand so far until it tears or busts but I my experiences it has been plenty enough to get it over those tough sized eyes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.