Walleye Rod?

• Vandy
    Central Iowa

WITHOUT getting into BRAND names what do you like for a length and action for a walleye rod?

I will be useing this inside a shack most of the time.

I will manly be useing this for jigging spoons.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

27″ to 30″ medium

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Every one has an opinion,but I prefer a 28″ ml for inside my potable.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A lot will depend on the inside dimensions of the shack [length] and what you intend to use for baits [action].

If you are looking at an average length, 26″-28″ maybe a decent length. For weight or action if jigging lighter jigs or using a cork and live bait, a light-medium would probably get you by. More aggressive jigs like the Jigging Rapalas will do better if the rod is slightly stiffer.

Lots of variables here which means lots of rod choices.

Vandy
    Central Iowa

I will be in a 2 man flip,and I will be jigging 1/8 oz.-1/4 oz. spoons.
    Thanks for all replys.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

First throw the 1/4 oz spoons away and stick to 1/8th’s. or 3/16 if you feel you need extra weight. Then get a med light perch 28″ rod for fishing inside. I used to fish med rods and 1/4 oz. But you can use a med light and an 1/8th oz that fishes heavier if you need to get down faster, like a northland buckshot, lindy rattling flyer, I’m sure CJS makes something heavier too but I usually stick to the slenders from them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

WITHOUT getting into BRAND names what do you like for a length and action for a walleye rod?
    I will be useing this inside a shack most of the time.
    I will manly be useing this for jigging spoons.

32″ – 36″ medium. I’ve sold off or will be selling off all my remaining walleye perch rods under 32″ because I just don’t use them any more, opting instead for the longer blanks.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i started building my own ice rods about 10 years ago because nobody made one in the length that i wanted, 30″ to 36″. i have found that stiffer is better for giving the spoons better action. as far as fishing longer rods in a flipover portable, if you customise it right, the longer rods are just fine. stock seating, bench or swivle, are set to far foward with your feet resting on the ice while fishing. set the seat to the back of the tub so your feet are resting on the inside tub while fishing. this does a couple of things, first is, your feet are not on the ice and thus you and your feet stay warmer. your heater is further away from you = less line burns. with a custom bench seat, you can mount it high enough to get 5gal buckets under it when traveling from spot to spot. with a piece of carpeting on the floor, that is a little insulation under your feet. i guess the list goes on. so to answer your question, longer and stiffer is better in my book. i mostly use solid graphite blanks when i build a rod.

BBKK
    IA

Well the very little walleye fishing I have done was around Iowa so we were not chasing records. 26″ ML seemed to be perfect. Now if you were to go some place like devils lake or mille lacs, I’d say you’d need a bigger rod!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.