Austin Custom Rods

• tswoboda

So I’m looking at getting an Austin Custom Rod or 2 and looking for some feedback on them. Who has used them? I’ve been talking with the maker trying to decide on what kind of rod I want made and it sounds like he can do about anything I want for $60… SWEET! Now I just need to decide on what I want haha so if anyone out there can give me any kind of comparison of their UL, L, and M blanks as far as power and action that would be awesome. I’m looking to get a 26″ noodle rod and a 32″ all round rod that I can use primarily with plastics for crappies and light jigging spoons for eyes and perch and tullies. Looking at a 32″ blank either light or medium power with a st. croix spring bobber added. Any opinion from someone who has used them would be great.

THANKS!

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Greg has made me 4 Custome rods in the last couple of years and they are a work of art.He uses all the best blanks and cork and no junk guides. He will make you whatever you want. My Son inlaw just had 2 made also for a couple tiny baitcasters.When I first wanted one Greg called me one nite and we talked for an hour on what type of fishing I was going to be doing, and many other questions.He is a very dedicated rod maker and he will stand by his rods if anything goes wrong with them.My last one is a 20 inch with a spring bobber guide ( like a St. Croix) and it is a fine little rod.He will also do any guide wrap colors you decide on also.Good luck on what you decide.

highsparks

I have a half dozen , well maybe closer to a dozen . They are addictive , cant stop collecting them . Greg has his act together , just talk to him , describe your fishing style and get exactly what you want .

His walleye rods are my favorite for big spoons for big perch and walleyes of all sizes . He makes a full flex , thats so sensitive I can feel a potato chip gill lip the bait , before it knows its too late . I use it when gills are very lite biteing and I cant get a good hook set with a spring bobber . I like to use different actions for different bites . He can build exactly what you need .

tswoboda

Quote:

I have a half dozen , well maybe closer to a dozen . They are addictive , cant stop collecting them . Greg has his act together , just talk to him , describe your fishing style and get exactly what you want .

His walleye rods are my favorite for big spoons for big perch and walleyes of all sizes . He makes a full flex , thats so sensitive I can feel a potato chip gill lip the bait , before it knows its too late . I use it when gills are very lite biteing and I cant get a good hook set with a spring bobber . I like to use different actions for different bites . He can build exactly what you need .

That’s good to hear… well maybe other than the addicting part haha. One thing I can say without using the rods yet is that he is great to work with. We sent over 20 emails back and forth of me bouncing different ideas off of him.

I finally decided on a 30″ Full Flex and a 32″ Walleye with a St. Croix spring bobber built into it.

Do you have a rod built on his regular light power blank? I’m sure that will be my next purchase.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.