Tried out some ice fishing gear tonight!

• jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

Got out with my son, we made sure the flasher, and the ice rods/reels were in order. Was able to use Black Betty to reel up a few mules on her maiden voyage! What a great night to be out on the water, yes it was snowing here but the wind was absent, and the fish were cooperating nicely!

beck
    Menomonie, WI

Great pictures. I sure enjoy seeing kids out fishing. Looks like a great time in the snow.

jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

Looks like a awesome time Jim! How much snow did you get your way?

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

That is an outing you two will remember for a long time! Looks like a lot of fun.

What did you guys think of that Black Betty?

Brent

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

He sure got a kick out of it! We were concentrating so hard on the flasher, and our jigging, we didn’t even notice how much it was snowing. Jimmy says, “Dad, look, you can’t even see shore!” hahahhaa! He was right, it was coming down pretty good.

We got about two inches of heavy snow, but it’s gone now, it lasted until about 2:00 this afternoon and 99% of it is gone.

I thought the Black Betty performed flawlessly, it was as smooth as butter and I foresee it being my favorite reel this winter!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Very cool. Open water fishing in the snow, with fish biting, is a neat experience you don’t forget easily.

Not to mention, locating the fish now will make it much, much easier when ice forms!

Joel

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

On this particular lake, I’ve got them pinned down for early ice. Classic spot, but when it comes to classic spots, there is more than one on a lake, and not all of them will produce! I know this one will, I have a trip planned for the weekend to lock in a couple more, I love this time of year

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.