DEAD STICK SET UP

• DAN J

Just got my Thorne Bros. Dead Stick.(32″) 6# P-Line. Would like to know how everyone rigs them for Walleyes?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I think how you set up your dead stick for walleyes will depend on the body of water for the most part, on how those walleyes generally like it. I like to put a small treble or lazer hook on, with a minnow hooked under the dorsal, and a split shot about 8 inches up. and fish it about a foot or 2 off the bottom. That being said, i usually jig a rattlin buckshot spoon tipped with a crappie minnow next to it for some flash to bring them in.

Keith Fischer

Quote:

I think how you set up your dead stick for walleyes will depend on the body of water for the most part, on how those walleyes generally like it. I like to put a small treble or lazer hook on, with a minnow hooked under the dorsal, and a split shot about 8 inches up. and fish it about a foot or 2 off the bottom. That being said, i usually jig a rattlin buckshot spoon tipped with a crappie minnow next to it for some flash to bring them in.

I do the same but set my deadstick on a Rod Rocker II.

ajw

Dont mean to hijack this thread but i have a question. What is the benefit of using a “dead stick” vs. using a rod setup with a float? I usually jig in one hole and throw a bobber setup in another. (fishing in a shack anyway) Ive always wondered because it seems like you’re just asking for a pike to rip your setup down the hole…

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Most common dead stick rods are fished like Shane mentioned above. I like to put the dead stick rod in a rod holder and make sure that the dead stick rod has some give in the tip allowing the fish to load the tip with some pressure and then give them the beans.
    Otter makes a rod holder that attaches right to the base where the poles come together it also keeps the rod out above the hole. Away from the seat and off the ice. Otter Rod Holder
    Looks like this rod holder would fit most fish houses just not Otter as well.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Awag,s To eliminate that problem i mounted custom rod holders to my shacks sled base. And i dont use a dead stick outside the shack for that reason.

Ajs

Quote:

What is the benefit of using a “dead stick” vs. using a rod setup with a float?

It greatly simplifies the decision of when to set the hook. With a bobber I over-think the whole deal. I wind up trying to gauge if the fish is still taking it down and feel I need to pick the perfect time to set the hook.. With just a deadstick, you set the hook when the rod is bent.

Quote:

it seems like you’re just asking for a pike to rip your setup down the hole…

This is where the rod rocker II comes in big time.

ajw

Quote:

Quote:

It greatly simplifies the decision of when to set the hook. With a bobber I over-think the whole deal. I wind up trying to gauge if the fish is still taking it down and feel I need to pick the perfect time to set the hook.. With just a deadstick, you set the hook when the rod is bent.

Quote:

This makes alot of sense – i too am guilty of over thinking the whole thing. Thanks!

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This makes alot of sense – i too am guilty of over thinking the whole thing. Thanks!

another thing to do with your dead stick is set the drag low enough that a walleye can slam it and start taking off with it, but high enough that the minnow cannot. just like deadsticking a northern rod, you just grab your rod wihle its spooling, and finger the line and set the hook, and adjust the drag back to normal. different techniques to get the job done…

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

is 1 to 2 feet off the bottom a good depth to generally start looking for walleyes then when deadsticking?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

is 1 to 2 feet off the bottom a good depth to generally start looking for walleyes then when deadsticking?

more times than not, yes. i have fished ledges that the walleyes preferred the deadstick minnow to be over the drop off but at the same depth as if i was over the flat, so that was a 6 foot difference. I would jig the buckshot on the dropoff also, bouncing the bottom to stir up sediment. I would get perch and walleyes both coming from both directions. trial and error is your best bet.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I always leave my bail open on my dead stick, it gives time to let the fish get the whole bait in its mouth and I can get a good hook set when I feel the time is right…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.