Ice Fishing Trips for Perch-suggestions?

• Jake_A

The cold weather has got me having dreams of the auger running and fish coming through the hole…so now this year my dad and I are looking at going on a trip for perch. My question is what would you guys rate as a good lake for both perch and walleye that isn’t extremely tough to figure out? I know people will say Devils, but thats a little bit too far away…anything in MN or WI that I should take a look into? Not looking for a sleeper or anything, just an idea of lakes

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Mille Lacs or Leech come to mind right away in MN.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I would say on Mille Lacs the numbers of those true jumbo’s is down, Leech is always good, although we have noticed the size is a bit down from prior years. Winni is on the upswing, the true jumbo’s are becomming more frequent. Or if you want to be where the perch are exploding look into the Waubay/Webster SD area.

Keith Fischer

Been think’n about a trip to Glacial Lakes in SD myself, they

get some nice Piggy Perch out there.

thegun
    mn

with the weather the way it is this year I would be looking a bit further north… wont be any ice in MN this year

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

I would have to 2nd the Winnie suggestion, although last year they caught some really nice perch on Red Lake that no one really knew about till the end of the ice season.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

although last year they caught some really nice perch on Red Lake that no one really knew about till the end of the ice season.

Are there any ridiculous restrictions on perch like there are on eyes on Red?

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Fortunately they did not put any restrictions on perch for Red Lake. I can report that during the late ice perch bite the walleyes were sure fun to catch along with the perch and I don’t believe very many of the walleyes would have made the slot anyway.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Thx for the info Mike

Marbleeye
    Upper red lake

We had a great perch bite last year on red lake . There were also plenty if walleyes mixed in to add to the action. Good luck fishing

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Been think’n about a trip to Glacial Lakes in SD myself, they
    get some nice Piggy Perch out there.

We fished Bitter lake by the Town of Waubay last fall and had a blast on the Big Perch and Walleyes. I wanted to get back icefishing since that is when they get the hogs but did not make it, maybe this year!!!

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Anything in the Webster/Waubay area would give you a good chance to find some nice perch. Bitter lake, pickerel, and enemy swim are all good places to start.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.