Jigs and plastics?

• Jake_A

Just curious what you guys are all using out there for jig and plastic combos for panfish under the ice. I have been using a lot of little atom brand stuff this winter and it really has paid off with red being the best color (especially for perch) and the northland bro bug jighead is by far my #1 favorite jig out there. Anyone have any input?

mrwalleye
    MN

slick jig and GULP fish fry

jrcunning1

Just saw the atom stuff and gonna give it a try this weekend..These are just the straight rubber “tails”..
    Got pink, red, purple and white…..
    Will let you know…..

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I have had pretty good luck for gills with the pink northland slug bugs tipped with gulp waxies.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

custom jigs/spins gill pill and diamond jig with back ratso body has been hot for gills and crappies.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Try a cut strip of raw chicken skin. Perch go bonkers over it.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Just curious what you guys are all using out there for jig and plastic combos for panfish under the ice. I have been using a lot of little atom brand stuff this winter and it really has paid off with red being the best color (especially for perch) and the northland bro bug jighead is by far my #1 favorite jig out there. Anyone have any input?

I like little atom, I have micro nuggies, nuggies, jumbo wedgies. My new favorite is J&S plastics with the ice mite, paddletails and GoJo’s in various different colors and sizes. The new Northland Impulse baits have been okay. The tapeworm has done the best for me in that line of plastics. I also use Gulp Alive! plastics in the waxies, 1″ minnows, minnow heads and the fish fry. Pink and white waxies on a 1/16 oz slender spoon is a great one. Don’t forget the Powerbaits as well. I love 2 inch powerminnows, as well as atomic tubes on either 1/32oz or 1/16 oz crappie tom jigs.

I really only fish with plastics so I have a ton of plastics in many different colors and I catch fish on pretty much all of them.

I put them on jigs ranging from fatboys to gill pills. Also from slick jigs to diamond jigs. I have put plastics on any jig I have and found a way to work them to catch fish.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The bite I have been experiencing this year, it is important to change up. After finding a color that works, one rod has a plastic and the other rod armed with a waxie.
    I love using the gulp alive minnow with the diamond jig. The head is shaped perfect along with the placement of the eye on top. Anyone can make the tail on this set up dance

I do keep other plastics in the gulp jars. I find that the solution works. There has been some success using Crappie Tom’s plastics and the CJ&S Wedgee’s soaked in the sauce

It still has been important to drop a waxie till they are sick of it then change to the plastic for a few fish. A tough bite this year for me has proven the community hole fish are conditioned. Like you hear a lot of people saying….there are a lot of sniffer’s this year. The trick for me has been trying to find something outside of the box…..been told I spend to much time there too

slab_slayer

A couple of my favorites..
    Diamond Jig w/Ratso body
    Diamond Jig w/Gulp Fish Fry
    Fatboy or Diamond Jig w/Micro Nuggie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.