Ice fishing Smallies

• MuskyTrap

Given that the area I primarily fish has a great concentration of smallies I’ve decided to give em a shot and see what happens.

I’ve got two thoughts, the Mississippi up here is Ice worthy (16″ as of yesterday in one spot) so I thought that would be a good bet to find a few.

Secondly, many of the lakes in this area have smallies as well.

Where does one start on the river? Current seams? Slack areas? Sucker? Blades?

How about in the lakes? Deep rocks? Weed lines? Points etc?

I’ve never targeted them specifically in the winter but have heard that when you get on them it can be an absolute riot.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I am aware that season closes in FEB and that currently they are c & r only.

MT

MuskyTrap

Yeah, both scenarios through the ice.

Current seams, behind bridge pillars, points etc.

bigpike

Use a camera, find concentrations of fish, stick the camera down and see what you have. ~~~~Deep holes, piles of wood, a known wintering hole for smally’s will stay one so if you dig around and find they proper info you could get lucky that way. Earlier this winter on a river fed flowage I was catching / losing a few nice smally’s every day out of the middle of a crib.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

16″ of ice on current seams on the Mississippi? I have never targeted small mouth on pool 8, mostly because I believe they winter so close to the current and that is a little too dangerous for me. If I was to take a stab at it, i would try current eddies off the the main channel with rock or wood in and around them. My guess is they will be in the slack water right next to some current…but thats just a complete guess, winter small mouth are a mystery to me

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Deep… either way (Natural Lake or Downstream River)…

Mark

MuskyTrap

Teaser is right!! Thats exactly what Im lookin for.

The seams with so much ice that I speak of are subtle, as there really isn’t a whole lot current on the “reservoir” end of the stretches up here to begin with. (N of st cloud)

I ran a few areas this fall with sidescan so I’ve got a pretty good idea of where theres a bit of wood. Hope to give it a shot this weekend and see whats shakin.

MT

I’ll post some results pending I make it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.