Ice around Prairie?

• asch
    Eastern Iowa

Would like to get on some ice on Monday. Is there any ice around Prairie or how much farther north would we have to go?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

the boats are out in force around PdC catching saugers in some of the wash out holes…

I have not seen anyone on any ice as of late…

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Fished the old dredge hole on the southwest corner of Greemore last Sunday. There was only 3 inches then and I can’t believe it has gotten better. Caught a few nice gills late in the day. Also on Cold Springs Monday, about 3 1/2 inches there but again I wouldn’t trust it now.

With wind guts of 39 MPH forecast for Monday it might be more comfortable to watch IDO videos.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

It was iffy on greymore on Thursday auger almost melted through the ice when u left was 47 degrees spring lake may be fishable if you can get away from weed beds ice is honey combed I would recommend driving north towards lacrosse I belive there may be better ice north of pdc

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

there was 3 cars at the Spring Lake site today.. I just did a road trip.. the rest of the areas are ghost towns

iowaeye

Was at cabellas today and am notfamiliarwith that area but when you cross the bridge over the river there were probably ten to twelve people out in some backwater area behind an island. Then on the other side of the island were boats in open water

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Spent the AM hours of 12/30 on what’s left of the hard stuff in mid pool 9 area. BB size rain & ice nuggets pelted my backside for much of the time before changing to snow. Ice conditions were drastically decaying below my eyes & very feet. How many inches? Put it to you this way. There is less than 36 inches! Every step you take is nothing short of Danc’n with the Devil. MAYBE (and I stress MAYBE) 2″ of hard clear with three quarters of an inch of slush on top of that when I exited stage left at noon YESTERDAY. “Good” ice was also beginning to pull from shore YESTERDAY. That was 27 hours and 39 minutes ago of essentially aboving freezing temps. Given the next 12 to 48 hour forecast ~ You will be at a substantially high risk of taking an ice bath over the next few days. Having said that.
    – Shore Slough in Lansing had 6 vehicles. Everybody was fishing in 18″ of water at the very northern end of the slough.
    – Need a dingy to cross the cut off the 82 dike to get on at Charles City. 2 dingy’s and 4 guys this AM. Lot of snow cover at Charles City yet which makes for even dicer conditions.
    – Chain O’lakes & the Ole Dredge Hole on the dike had no activity this AM.
    – DeSoto Bay had 25+ bucket dwellers this AM stretching from the middle section of the Bay northward. Large % were sitting over deeper water. 10′ stilts wouldn’t keep em dry if they were through where they were fishing. There were 2 vehicles and handful of individuals on the southern end. 10 to 12 feet deep down there too. Open water less than 100 yards from their toes. If guys don’t watch what they’re doing I’ll be using salmon hooks and “fishing” for flashers and cameras along with an arsenal of ice tackle.
    – Ronkowski had 3 vehicles parked along the road this AM. Couldn’t see them on the ice from the safety of Hwy 35 but suspect they were tucked in along the bank out of site.
    Main channel and ALL of the side channels visible from the highway between the dike and Genoa were W-I-D-E open. Handful of boats out up at Genoa with one boat just north of Victory.

As of the fishing ~ I did okay yesterday on the ice. Gills were by far the most active speices. Walleye turned on for a mid morning luncheon. Not much activity in the crappie & perch category’s for me. Brought home enough for a candle light dinner for two. Managed to cut 3 of 5 fingers with new knife Santa left. It was all his fault tho. He didn’t leave instructions for this village idiot.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

Thanks for the reports

jepik

now thats what I call a fishing report..great job bosman

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.