Ok, I’ll bite; fill me in on fly reel pros/cons

• reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Fly reels for ice fishing getting a lot of attention lately, so I’m interested. I understand they drastically reduce line twist, so I’m REALLY interested. Haven’t found the spinning reel yet that won’t twist line in cold, cold weather.
    So here goes folks…looking for pros/cons, recommendations for/against, what to spool with and of course, recommendations for brands and rods to match.
    Talking walleye, perch, other panfish here.
    Bring it on and thanks up front!
    -Rev

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I like my spinning reels. If line twist is an issue on light jigs, have you considered trying Fireline 2lb test? I have never had any line twist with that, even on my lightest jigs. Also, if you use Crystal, the fish don’t get line shy because it literally is invisible. That being said, I am interested in this fly fishing revolution on the ice, so I will sit back and suck in some info.

sandmannd

I put a swivel a the end of my spinning reels and then 18″ or so of vanish on before the jig. This also helps get the jig down a little faster. I take it even a step farther and put a small snap swivel on. I then tie my jigs on vanish ahead of time and put them on a lindy rig round holder. I can swap out jigs very fast without having to tie in the cold.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Also, if you use Crystal, the fish don’t get line shy because it literally is invisible.

Hi Steve

With all due respect my experience with Crystal is that it is one of the more visible lines I’ve ever put in the water. It looks like rope on the underwater cameras. If I can see it, the fish can see it too. And this is coming from a guy that likes to fish Crystal in some situations. Crystal has a number of positives going for it… lack of stretch, good strength at a thin diameter and excellent sensitivity. The downside in my opinion is that it absorbs water which will cause freeze up on the spool in cold conditions and it is highly visible under water forcing the use of leader material if the fish are proving to be line shy.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I was really just curious about the fly reels. Use braids on most of my ice outfits, and get along mostly fine. Don’t like swivels for lighter jigs, no matter how tiny, so was really looking for more info on the fly reel thing. Seems like a decent way to avoid line twist and “slinky” jigging, especially w/really light stuff. Hoping some guys here had some experience/feedback about what they like/don’t like about them.
    Besides, as you see by my other post, I’ve got brownie points to cash in…looking for options!
    Thanks, Rev

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I was really just curious about the fly reels.

I absolutely love fishing with them over anything else in my arsenal when chasing pannies in shallow water. Here’s some good threads with a lot of info from both sides… pro and con.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/1050521/fpart/1/fly-reel

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/1049376/93/fpart/all

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/959395/93/fpart/all

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/945167/93/fpart/all

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/984463/93/fpart/all

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

After seeing episode one, I was convinced I am getting a fly reel setup this year. It looks like a lot of fun to fish with when targeting panfish shallow. I am guessing I will probably be hard headed if it is as fun as it looks and use it up to 30′.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Also, if you use Crystal, the fish don’t get line shy because it literally is invisible.

Hi Steve

With all due respect my experience with Crystal is that it is one of the more visible lines I’ve ever put in the water. It looks like rope on the underwater cameras. If I can see it, the fish can see it too. And this is coming from a guy that likes to fish Crystal in some situations. Crystal has a number of positives going for it… lack of stretch, good strength at a thin diameter and excellent sensitivity. The downside in my opinion is that it absorbs water which will cause freeze up on the spool in cold conditions and it is highly visible under water forcing the use of leader material if the fish are proving to be line shy.

I guess I’ve never looked at it next to a camera, James. I just never had a fish shy away from it. Maybe I’ll have to get a camera, my head doesn’t fit down the hole very well.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I just never had a fish shy away from it. Maybe I’ll have to get a camera, my head doesn’t fit down the hole very well.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve caught a lot of fish using Crystal tying direct to the lure. Particularly in deep water when vis is poor. I have had situations in clear water where the crystal tied direct was a major negative to the fish. If the fish you’re on don’t shy away and the temps allow… there’s a lot of positives to braids like Crystal with sensitivity being #1 in my book.

As for dunking your head in the water to get a look under the ice, I don’t recommend it one bit. Granrud and I tried that last year. Found it spooked the fish and muddied up the water.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

It looks like a lot of fun

Eliminating line twist, etc., all withstanding… this is the best reason to give one a try. They make me laugh. Not sure why but I know what I like when I like it.

Todd_NE

Crystal 1 and 2lb test can catch every fish on West Okoboji, and those are some finicky fish.

Pline Floroclear has been my “go to” line the last few years. Closer to the refraction of flouro without the hassle.

Fireline/Braids can fill with ice crystals causing frozen guide issues and even a “bloom” on your Marcum.

IF I can get away with using Crystal, I do. Less likely to break off, better hooksets, more abrasion resistant, less need to replace line as often.

Fly reels have been a tournament secret for years, especially among the sight fisherman. They have their place in shallow water, but I think they are inefficient in deep water.

Jig spin is real, and a real problem for those that don’t realize it. Go sight fishing in clear water and you’ll understand very quickly that spin is a real turn-off for fish.

stevenoak

CON’S!! Seriously I love them Think T Bros may have overloaded spool a bit.Not a problem after this!15′ or less fly reel is my favorite.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.