Ice Fishing Rod Storage

• muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Ok, haven’t seen this topic for a while. What does everyone use for rod storage? With ice combos exceeding the $100 mark, I’m going to invest a little more than ten bucks on a rod bag. I mainly walk out onto the ice for most of the season, so weight and size are a concern, and no wheeler yet to get the otter box. Does anyone have suggestions on keeping the rods safe?

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I made something this summer. I’ll post pics of it when I get home later today.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’d encourage you to look at the Otter Rod Case. Like you, I do a lot of walking to get to my spots. I have no issues carrying one of those cases. If you packed one just right, you should be able to slip some tackle boxes in there as well.

They are built very well and I have absolutely no problems putting my finest hardwater rods inside them.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The best bag that I have used prior to the Otter Box was the Stone Legacy Revolution bag, however they are out of buisness now and don’t make them any more, if you can find a slightly used one somewhere I would suggest that. However Thorne Bros, has a wide variety of Ice bags for your expensive rods/reel combos that offer great protection as well as a shoulder strap for carrying.

Thorne Bros Hard Tube Style Rod Carrier

sorry about the blurred pic of the stone legacy bag, if you were not walking onto the ice most of the time I would tell you Otter box like everyone else, however a lightweight bag to keep some terminal tackle and keep your rods safe with a back strap would be a thorne bros carrying rod case, otherwise no doubt in my mind about the otter rod box.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Otter rod case for me too! Just throw it in and go! No matter what kind of terrain i am pulling my ice house over, I know my rods are perfectly safe and will not be damaged one bit.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ok, I’m going to pile on… Otter Rod Case.

Over the last three years I’ve stepped on it, dropped propane tanks on it, froze it into the bottom of an ice house, dropped it off the tailgate of my truck… you get the picture. You can’t hurt the dang thing and the rods inside are safe and sound.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Any one try the lakewood “ice pole caddy” or “ice pack” they look decent but not sure about them…

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I picked up the Otter box last year – same thoughts, these combos are way too expenses not to protect them anymore. I love it

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Otter box is awesome.

I use a version of this bag. I carry eight rods with the JR’s cloth rod sleeves, todays tackle pouches over the lure hooks, Three Flambeau Zerust 3009 boxes, one rose creek, two double sided plano 3214’s, a plier, a headlamp, two strikemaster bait pucks and a ziploc of misc goodies. I grab the bag, my flasher, auger and I’m ready to fish. You can’t drop a propane tank on it, but it is pretty durable. It rides on top of the fish house tent & under the cover of my otter lodge. It works well for me.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/accessories/thorne_softcase.html

arklite881south

Otter Rod Box x12

I hate to even think how many dollars can be burned skimping on rod protection. Lord knows I’ve learned the hard way. Considering the handle you should be ok carrying this out or pulling it in a small sled with other items.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

The best bag that I have used prior to the Otter Box was the Stone Legacy Revolution bag, however they are out of buisness now and don’t make them any more, if you can find a slightly used one somewhere I would suggest that. However Thorne Bros, has a wide variety of Ice bags for your expensive rods/reel combos that offer great protection as well as a shoulder strap for carrying.

Thorne Bros Hard Tube Style Rod Carrier

sorry about the blurred pic of the stone legacy bag, if you were not walking onto the ice most of the time I would tell you Otter box like everyone else, however a lightweight bag to keep some terminal tackle and keep your rods safe with a back strap would be a thorne bros carrying rod case, otherwise no doubt in my mind about the otter rod box.

Another company took over production on the Stone Legacy bags. I can’t remember their name for the life of me though.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Ok, haven’t seen this topic for a while. What does everyone use for rod storage? With ice combos exceeding the $100 mark, I’m going to invest a little more than ten bucks on a rod bag. I mainly walk out onto the ice for most of the season, so weight and size are a concern, and no wheeler yet to get the otter box. Does anyone have suggestions on keeping the rods safe?

Going back to the original post question, what did guys use prior to Otter products? We all agree Otter is the way to go, but I am sorry if I am walking on the ice I am not going to carry a suitcase onto the ice with me. I am going to strap my Revolution bag if I need multiple rods or my Thorne Bros Rod bag if I need a max of 2 rods for this ice trip.

So what were you using before Otter?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Going back to the original post question, what did guys use prior to Otter products? We all agree Otter is the way to go, but I am sorry if I am walking on the ice I am not going to carry a suitcase onto the ice with me. I am going to strap my Revolution bag if I need multiple rods or my Thorne Bros Rod bag if I need a max of 2 rods for this ice trip.
    So what were you using before Otter?

Thorne tubes and before that a Stone Legacy rod bag.

arklite881south

I used all sorts of soft sided shoulder carrying cases that nearly always had my fishing rods in a “Popcorn ball” upon arriving to my spot. I think I burned my last one in the outside boiler which seemed to be the best use I got out of it…..BTU’S. Beyond that zippers were busted and rods broken.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Before I got my Otter Rod Cases, I used the Marcum rod carrier. I really like that design as well. It doesn’t work well with longer rods, but it does a great job of carrying 4 small to mid-length rods.

Before that I used a Stone Legacy rod carrier.

And before that, a 5 gallon bucket.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

HYCREEK is the Company that is handling the REVOLUTION Ice Rod Bag.I talked to them a month ago but have yet to see the bag advertised on their website. I am going to call them in the morning to see if it will be available for this Winter.Seems like they could sell a lot of these bags, many on here!

whoay5

i just bought a plano gun case from cabela’s for $34.00 works great and it’s saved me 25 to 45 doller on the other brands….. just a thought.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I got bored one day and had this storage bin laying around. It fits in the bottom of my fish trap scout and for a college kid on a budget its not bad. I had everything laying around the house. Kinda excited to see hows its gonna work out this winter.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

HYCREEK is the Company that is handling the REVOLUTION Ice Rod Bag.I talked to them a month ago but have yet to see the bag advertised on their website. I am going to call them in the morning to see if it will be available for this Winter.Seems like they could sell a lot of these bags, many on here!

BINGO!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.