Fly reel advantages?

• gchen53081

I just found another reel that looks like a fly reel. The website calls it spinning reel, but it’s more like a fly reel to me. Claims to have a 3.2:1 gear ratio. Based on its line capacity, it seems like a very small reel. Here is the link.
    Fishing Reel
    Looks like this online store is maintained by someone who cannot speak English very well.

gchen53081

I just got two Ryrobi fly reel directly from China, cost me about $110 each, shipping included. Weighs 129g on my scale.
    They are smaller than I thought, with an OD about 3″, and the spool has a diameter of 2″. Hence, with a 2.3:1 gear ratio, each turn of handle will retrieve about 14.5″ line.
    It can be switched from right hand reel to left hand reel, and vice versa. The switching requires reverse the one-way bearing inside. However, the instruction manual is in Japanese and Chinese.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

What about a reel like this.. It doesn’t have the gear ratio you are talking about.. but weight wise ? to heavy for a 24″ panfish rod ? What about a 36″ rod to replace my long rods we fish with on the back waters ?

Disc Drag Whisper-smooth single-caliper highly polished stainless steel
    Drag Pads Rulon
    Product Type Reels
    Primary Use Panfish, Trout
    Capacity 80 yard 20 pound Backing / WF-5-F
    Weight 5.33 ounce
    Width 1.4 inch
    Diameter 3.76 inch

ekruger01

Quote:

I just got two Ryrobi fly reel directly from China, cost me about $110 each, shipping included. Weighs 129g on my scale.
    They are smaller than I thought, with an OD about 3″, and the spool has a diameter of 2″. Hence, with a 2.3:1 gear ratio, each turn of handle will retrieve about 14.5″ line.
    It can be switched from right hand reel to left hand reel, and vice versa. The switching requires reverse the one-way bearing inside. However, the instruction manual is in Japanese and Chinese.

Can you post pictures of them in hand?

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

That reel would work yes

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.