Ice Fishing Reel Suggestions

• muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I’m going to invest in a few ice fishing reels this year, getting sick of the junk reels that always seem to fail at the wrong moment. What are your suggestions? I mainly fish for perch/crappie or walleye.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Do some researching of past posts here in the ice fishing forum and you will find the new thing is using very small fly reels is the next best thing for icefishing, also saying good by to line twist

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I’m going to invest in a few ice fishing reels this year, getting sick of the junk reels that always seem to fail at the wrong moment. What are your suggestions? I mainly fish for perch/crappie or walleye.

For spinning reals my vote is for Pflueger’s Presidents

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Thanks, I’m going to have to do a little research on fly reels.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The fly reel thing is probably good for panfish but they take some getting accustomed to.

If you are going to stick with a traditional spinning reel, those Presidents mentioned are good as are a couple of the mid-range Shimanos [Saharas and Symetres]in the 750 or 500 series and the pricier Ticas for panfish. The Presidents and Shimanos in at least a 750 series will handle waldo.

Simply closing the bail by hand instead of turning the crank will get rid of most reel related line twist. You’ll always have some because a lot of those small jigs get jigged pretty hard and they’ll twist things up like you can’t imagine. There really is not a remedy for line twist, only ways to help reduce it. Personally I’d spend more money towards a quality reel that has a dynamite drag system. This is where fish get lost.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The Tica’s are the cats meow. Thorn Bros is pushing the Shimano SE-500FD for $29 as the new ice reel, it is suppose to hae a better drag. But $30 you can get into a nice 500 size reel that will fit your bill.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’d still spend the extra $$$ and get into a Sahara. I have nine Saharas that range in age from new this year to over ten years old and of all the reels I have they are the most trouble free hot or cold. I generally avoid anything thats specifically advertised as an “ice” reel for under 50-60 bucks. I mentioned the upper end Ticas and as far as a quality ice reel they too make me comfortable.

When I go on a reel hunt, I start at the glass countertops where the reels are locked up and come in a box, not those hung on a peg in a plastic clam package with the sole exceptions of the Saharas and Symetres in the smaller sizes.

sandmannd

Depending how many rods you are going to reel up I would get one fly reel on a panfish rod. I also love my Tica reels as well as the Shimano’s I have. Those SE500 FD’s are great reels for the price range. If you’re on a budget but don’t want to give up quality, you really won’t beat those.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

The micro-President is an awesome ice reel! Personally, not a big fan of tica’s. I have one on my TB rod and have had issues with the anti-reverse switch… Don’t know how many times been getting a fish coming up only to have the reel go backwards, because I tapped the little lever. They are smooth and all but built super cheap in china. Needless to say I will swap it out for another micro!

juan_arellano
    wright county - mille lacs

I have been using a fly reel for a couple seasons now and like it for shallow water. In deeper water I have been using tica reels for any years now and love, and never have had a problem with any of them.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I like the Pflueger micro Presidents!

Here is some good info for getting a spinning reel in shape for the ice season.

Reel Maintenance

smackthewalleyes
    South Dakota

The past 3 years I have used Tica Cetus SS 500’s and absolutely love them! I live near the Missouri River and have caught many big northerns and walleyes with them and the drag has been perfect with every fish. I also just purchased 2 Shimano Symetre 500 reels this fall (found them on sale for 49.99) and am very excited to try them out! I am expecting the same quality out of the Symetre’s, if not a bit better than the Tica’s.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I like the Pflueger micro Presidents!

Me, too. It is my favorite ice reel. Unfortunately, I only have one of them. I was at Goose Mtn (forgive me father, for I have sinned) and saw some in the close out bin for $20!

Not knowing how great of a deal it was, I only got one

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

I agree with Tom on the drag being the most important aspect of a reel. I also vote for the Tica as a fairly inexpensive but good quality reel.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I agree with the ticas they are very nice reels. Also I like the shimano’s they are at a good price and last.

I do like the fly reels for panfish. As ct said they take some getting use to but the learning curve is pretty fast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.