Ice- Snow- Fish- Leech Area

• Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

The area lakes that I have checked have anywhere from 0″- 6″ of ice on them. I have been scouting quite a few small, low-lying lakes and am still seeing 4″-5″ of ice with varying quality. As most know, extreme caution should be used when checking lakes under these conditions. I wear a life jacket, ice pics, and I check thickness often with an ice chisel. My best advice here is this; don’t travel to a lake and venture out unless you are willing to turn back when ice conditions are marginal.

As of Wednesday night, 3″-4″ of snow has fallen and it is fairly wet and heavy, this does not help the shallow lakes in the short-term but a few cold nights should negate the effects of this mess (I hope). On a side note, most of Leech Lake proper and Walker bay was still open but is now icing over again!

Scouting these small lakes is very interesting to me, as no two are really alike. Many are not worth returning to at all. Some are dominated by small Bluegills while others are over-run with small Crappies. Still other lakes have just enough variation in size structure to warrant a return.

This afternoon I checked a lake that I haven’t been to in a couple of years. The Crappies were stacked up pretty thick, though they were mostly on the small side. I didn’t have to venture too far, released many, and kept 3 for my dinner. All-in-all, it was worth the trip. I’ll be checking every possible safe and fishy area in the next week until Leech locks up.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG1118.jpg

2. DSC01048.jpg

3. 1gggg.jpg

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Thanks for the report Phil! I think we’re about to finally turn the corner.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Love your reports Phil. Good luck this ice season…RR

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

It’s a Crappie-eat-Crappie world.

Attachments:
    1. RIMG1122.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Making progress now! Some main lake shoreline areas are possible now.

Attachments:
    1. DSC01109.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Making progress now! Some main lake shoreline areas are possible now.

I’ve never been so happy to see cold temps! Beautiful fish, Phil.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Fishing is good right now for Perch, Crappies, Bluegills…

Attachments:
    1. DSC01314.jpg

2. perchjan4.jpg

3. craprelease.jpg

4. kidscrappies.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

…and Walleyes!

Attachments:
    1. walleyejan52016.jpg

2. otters.jpg

3. DSC01324.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How’s walker bay coming along Phil?

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

How’s walker bay coming along Phil?

There is decent ice (~6″-10″) most places in the bay now but she’s still a bit thin over the deepest basins. After this weekend’s cold I would think pretty darn good. There are quite a few fish houses at Sand point and out from town now. I hear the bite has been decent on the bay too. The big lake has 9″-11″ most places that I have been. Fish are being caught all over the lake but mostly during the typical windows.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Here are some current notes from the week.

Earlier in the week fishing was very consistent with numbers and quality Walleyes being caught. The recent cold front has put the Walleyes into a bit of a funk, but this will be great for improving ice and travel. The bite windows are short but can still be productive. Jigging and dead stick rods are both producing some fish. Most fish are still being caught in 12-16 f.o.w. on the main lake.

-Walker bay fishing has been decent for quality Walleyes, and eater fish with no real definite depth or pattern standing out yet.

-Ice is good for light vehicle travel with most areas of the main lake sporting 10″-14″ of ice now.

-Walker bay ice is still variable and we are measuring anywhere from 4″-12″.

-Perch fishing has been good, with better fish coming on both main lake rock-to-sand transitions, and depressions in shallow sand/weed flats.

-Panfishing remains good for Crappies and Bluegills with both species showing up in typical mid-winter areas like basin edges and mid-depth soft bottom flats.

Cheers and hook-sets!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0388.jpg

2. DSC01344.jpg

3. otter2.jpg

4. IMG_0389.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Walleye fishing the past week on Leech was hit-or-miss it seems. The bite seems to become much less consistent in February, but we still have some very good days. Following wandering schools in 12-15 f.o.w. has provided our best action as of late, but 25-30 f.o.w. in Walker bay is still giving up some numbers.

Perch fishing in the shallows has been very productive on sunny days but the bigger fish seem to be far less active during overcast conditions. Depressions or inside turns in 8′-20′ deep flats can hold some nice perch right now too. Finding soft bottom areas in these flats that support bug hatches seems to be the key.

Cheers and hook-sets!

Attachments:
    1. DSC01329.jpg

2. IMG_0432-001.jpg

3. DSC01400.jpg

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Thanks for the report, Phil. Good info. Best of luck out there.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Phil, either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or I’ve never seen anybody keep fish on the ice that way. Did you just partially drill 2 holes and flood them? What type of basket is that?

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Phil, either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or I’ve never seen anybody keep fish on the ice that way. Did you just partially drill 2 holes and flood them? What type of basket is that?

Yep, 3 holes part-way down and one all the way down. That is an 8″ egg basket from L&M Fleet, it keeps them from swimming down the last hole. It’s a nice system because you can sort out the “too smalls” and “too bigs” and put them back. Also, it keeps them better looking for pics. Another benefit is that they aren’t frozen, so I can fillet them right away.

When we get a big Crappie, Bluegill or Perch, we throw the basket in a single hole. The fish can stay in the water while we get cameras ready. I keep one in each of my otter sleds.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Good luck and stay safe Eelpout Festival goers!

Attachments:
    1. RIMG1191.jpg

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

With temps near 60 forecast later this week and rain next week, the ice sheets are going to take a beating. My ice fishing season will more than likely wrap up Saturday. The holes we drilled the past few days will no doubt never freeze shut..actually, they are just getting bigger. It’s been a memorable season chasing walleyes, perch, crappies and bluegills with some great folks up here in the Leech Lake area. Thanks for fishing!

Cheers and hook-sets!

Attachments:
    1. RIMG1217.jpg

2. IMG_0485.jpg

3. IMG_0537-001.jpg

4. IMG_0549-001.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.