Ice Shelter Storage

• Nick Cox
    Minnesota

When I stepped into the garage this morning, I felt a comforting chill in the air that reminded we are less than two months away from getting on the ice. Usually this time of year, I am in the shed getting my shelters unpacked and ready for the coming months. That usually meant moving the lawn mower, bikes, weed whip, and all the other stuff that seems to magically accumulate throughout the summer months – just to get at the shelter. But not today.

At the end of last ice season, I picked up a heavy duty lift set online. I made sure that this lift set would carry the weight, and fit the size of my Otter Pro XT Lodge. It did.

I am really happy with this purchase, and method of storing. My Otter stayed up and out of the way. No moving equipment to access my shelter and she is ready to go for first ice. To raise and lower my shelter, I simply use an extension arm that came with the lift kit. That attaches to my drill, so raising and lowering the Otter literally takes no more than a minute.

For anyone considering storage options, I would recommend this style.

Attachments:
    1. Nick-Cox-Otter-Storage-4-of-5.jpg

2. Nick-Cox-Otter-Storage-3-of-5.jpg

3. Nick-Cox-Otter-Storage-1-of-1.jpg

Rick Janssen

I have stored mine in the garage rafters for years. I just have a pulley system on a hook at the peak of the garage. I have S hooks in each corner of the sled and attach a rope to the hooks and then have the ropes tied to a steel circle. When it comes time to put it up, I just hook the pulley rope clip into the steel circle and lift away. I TRIED to do it without the pulley, but couldn’t do it. Pulley system makes it easy to lift and lower. I put the auger, rod box and other equipment in the sled and up it goes. Good for the summer.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Just keep in mind that most trusses are only rated to 10 lbs. per square foot. The fish house will most likely be ok but I see a sheet of plywood over it and you might want to be careful on how much you store directly above the fish house on the same truss.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

This is my otter lodge on a heavy duty shelve! waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20160911_161033.jpg

Lefty76

I’m installing that exact lift in my garage next week. Glad to hear that you like it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve used the Raycore Hi-Lift for the past 5 years now, works great and can support 250 lbs, just keep in mind the cable that comes with the kit is for 10′ garage ceilings, I had to respool mine with longer cable to get it to go down to the floor.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1972.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.