ice rods curved

• Ryan Scholl

Has anyone ever had their ice rods become curved from being in a rod bag? I took my panfish rods out of my bag last night and two of them have a curve off to the right towards the tip. I’m guessing from sitting in that position. My bag way sitting flat so the tips must have become crammed in there. It was a No 8 29″ Snitch and 28″ Tony Roach noodle.

Anyway, I set them out on a flat surface. Do you think they will come back? I’ve never had this happen with rods before.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have never seen or had this happen but I NEVER leave my rods loaded just because of that issue !!

Ryan Scholl

I always put them away without any tension on the line, but they must have slid or something. Usually, as soon as i get home i take them all out and set them flat on a shelf. This time i didn’t. I have my fingers crossed.

I guess this could be an excuse to finally get a hard case!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Yes with the noodle tip on a JM Meatstick. Whether you leave line tension or not there’s usually some pressure on the rods.

My cure – lay it on a flat surface with the curved part hanging free in space. Make sure the curve is pointed up. Have a small weight on the line hanging down. Over time gravity and weight will reverse what the rod bag did.

If you hang the tip as Pat suggest and heat the tip lightly with a hair dryer, it’ll deform back quicker. I’ve done this with glass noodle rods with success and without impacting the overall performance. Never tried this with graphite.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Graphite, nah won’t work. Maybe the bonding resin.

404 ERROR
    MN

I had this happen from leaving one of my DH noodles loaded after a trip up north. It was blistering cold when we packed up and I just stuck it in the case and then forgot about it until the next trip…As stated, you can reverse the bend. Just be sure to check it periodically so you don’t over bend it the other way.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

Yes I can assure you DH white blanks can take a curve. Only if you store them with a load on the tip though.

lundojam

I’ve hung a rod by the eye and let the weight of the rod straighten it out. Worked.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

They will straighten out.I have had to do it many times.I have a tucr noodle downstairs right now striating itself as we speak.Lay it down the way your doing it and it should come back in a day or two.Works on long rods to,just takes a little longer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.