Ice Rod Building – Holding Guides in Place

• waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Curious how all you guys are holding the small 3/4 size fly guides onto the blank nearer the tip. Those first few guides aren’t hard, but man those end guides are tough to keep in place until you get a few wraps on them. Usually can’t seem to get masking tape to hold towards the tip. I’ve used small amounts of tip top glue and that seems to work OK, but you generally have a clump or two that doesn’t look the best once wrapped.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I heat the foot of the guide with a lighter quickly, wipe it on a hot glue stick then touch it to the spot I marked on the blank and press while its still hot to set it.
    I also grind my guide foot so your wrap climbs up easily.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

What Mark said! That method worked well for me.

SR

Don Wirsing

I’ve always used dental ligature bands. Normal blanks are easy, but noodle rods are just plain tough.

milemark_714

I used the ligature bands to static test,write down placement and mark blank with china pencil.I then put a “dap” of super glue on guide foot and place in alignment.Holds better than most and can still “crack”guide if needed after wrapping.I also wrap guides with a Forhan locking wrap,never had a guide come loose.

Loren I Duerr

Mudhole sells very small bands that work on most of the smallest ice rods. I put 2 on each guides and are easy to cut off. I use small orange or glow rubber beads to hold the fly guide on the tip then I leave it on, makes the tip easier to see.
    Also works good to hold spring bobber on while I wrap it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I just use 1/8” masking tape and put a buddy tab on each end. Start with the guide clocked just a bit in the opposite direction that you are wrapping. The tension of the thread will pull the guide back inline.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

1/8″ masking tape, the green stuff you get at a auto body store. Practice Practice and lots of drinking to get good at it. I can do noodle rods all night long no problems as I have done maybe 500 of them.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I used the ligature bands to static test,write down placement and mark blank with china pencil.I then put a “dap” of super glue on guide foot and place in alignment.Holds better than most and can still “crack”guide if needed after wrapping.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yep

Corey sunderman

I started using small electrical alligator clips few years ago and have like them

onepine
    Elk River

I use these.

curleytail

Either the guide foot adhesive that you get at mudhole etc or i also started using some stretchy elastic type cord i bought at walmart that’s used for making bracelets and necklaces.

Think of the bracelets kids make with beads – it’s the bright colored stretchy cord found in the craft/jewelry making section. Works well for static testing too as you can move the guide around to get placement correct. Tie cord on and slip guide under. Start to wrap guide, then cut cord.

Sometimes i still use the guide foot glue in addition to the cord as i feel it offers a little cushion between guide and blank.

tswoboda

I heat the foot of the guide with a lighter quickly, wipe it on a hot glue stick then touch it to the spot I marked on the blank and press while its still hot to set it.
    I also grind my guide foot so your wrap climbs up easily.

The hot glue method is so easy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.