Ice Rescue on Red Lake

• hartridge

Sounds like a rescue is in process or has just been completed. Different sources say between 15-40 people being rescued due to wind moving a sheet of ice. Sounds like an almost annual occurrence on Red Lake

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sounds like a rescue is in process or has just been completed. Different sources say between 15-40 people being rescued due to wind moving a sheet of ice. Sounds like an almost annual occurrence on Red Lake

It is. Thats why we always bring Porta bridge materials with us. Remember though, the news always makes it way worse then reality

Charles

The ice looks like crap up there form all the aerial shots.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

It seems to happen every year.
    The Beltrami County Sheriff’s water rescue team should invite other water rescue teams for annual refresher training!!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Just remember Its about the $ and the people think they know it all and do not get off the ice by dark rule the resort had.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Anybody know what part of the lake it broke off from? North, east or south? Can’t seem to find that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^I’m guessing the Eastern part of the lake…unless it was a group of anglers fishing within the reservation’s territory.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

the way it looked on the news story I seen it was the north end…

Riverrat

I believe it was this report that had the radio traffic for the initial call, says what resort called it in and where they were at.

Coletrain27

Happens every year early ice it seems like

Hoyt4
    NULL

REmote red lake on the north end.

Coletrain27

It is. Thats why we always bring Porta bridge materials with us. Remember though, the news always makes it way worse then reality

You bring a bridge with you?

maddog
    Park Rapids Mn.

Are the fish really worth it?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

lmao that is funny riverrat

Take my emergency bottle of ranch. LOL so gross

JEREMY
    BP

I hope the people getting rescued have to pay. It would be one thing if it was a fluke but its obviously not.

Charles

I don’t think they have to pay doesn’t the Beltrami sheriff use it as cold water training to keep there skills up. I thought I heard that before.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

You bring a bridge with you?

Yes. Aluminum portabridge and 2x6s for the wheelers. Done it every year up there. Only good up to 6 to 8 ft gaps. But we have used it on many early and late ice spots. Been using them for 15 plus years to get on and off as well as cross heaves and cracks.

Ripjiggen

I have done what BC says many times as well.
    This is the second time it has happened this year. High winds the ice moves pulls away and heaves somewhere else. Happens on just about every big body of water.

No they do not have to pay to get some help that is what they are trained to do.

Another year another crack.

Coletrain27

I suppose a alluminum folding atv ramp would work also if you have enough room to carry it

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I suppose a alluminum folding atv ramp would work also if you have enough room to carry it

Basically what this is. But has a little more structural areas to it so it folds in 3 spots and snaps and locks in place. My dad made it like 20 years ago for a creek we used to cross in the yard

big_g
    Isle, MN

Paying for a service, because you use a service, you already are paying for ? crazy

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So to verify, which specific resort were the people out of that became stranded this time?

I can’t imagine they came onto the ice sheet from the public access.

Coletrain27

So to verify, which specific resort were the people out of that became stranded this time?

I can’t imagine they came onto the ice sheet from the public access.

Red lake remote resort

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s the North Shore resort that was sold by Jonny P in the last couple years? I enjoyed that guy’s ice checks he always used to share and his big suburban rigs with the tracks.

If it’s the same one I remember looking at, they never used to open to daily public access under the old ownership but kept it for just the limited population that rented their houses?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Now someone is getting rich by letting people out at $20 a truck.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s the North Shore resort that was sold by Jonny P in the last couple years? I enjoyed that guy’s ice checks he always used to share and his big suburban rigs with the tracks.

If it’s the same one I remember looking at, they never used to open to daily public access under the old ownership but kept it for just the limited population that rented their houses?

Coletrain27

Are you thinking of beacon harbor resort? That one was just recently sold

queenswake
    NULL

You would think that after a couple of banner years with long seasons, the resorts could afford to play it safe and wait another week. All resorts agree to open access on the same day so no one is missing out.

JEREMY
    BP

I got in an ATV accident like 25 years ago along the river and the person who apperently reported it couldnt tell exactly where I was and I had to pay an hourly rate for each fireman and rescue person that looked. Lucky they found me before the rescue boats at the landing were launched cause im sure I would have had to pay for that as well. Should have been cheaper since a few walked right by me but i couldnt talk cause my face was all f ed up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.