Ice out crappies?

• Adam Lindeman

Went out on a west metro lake yesterday. There was a little ice in a bay yet, but the rest of the lake was ice free. Water temps were 38-39 degrees.

Anybody ever catch crappies in those kinds of water temps from a boat? We struggled. We marked fish, but couldn’t get any takers. Seen some fish in deeper water and some in shallower, 5-7ft. I am guessing the sunshine this week will help turn those fish on.

rugs
    Hastings, MN

water temps were 45 in the back bay we were in and the bite was on. main lake/deep water was more like 40 degrees.

Attachments:
    1. 12-inch-crap.jpg

2. Reid-with-crappie.jpg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’d like to chase some crappies or other panfish on a metro area lake in the next few weeks before the walleye opener. Where’s a good place to start? I can get to Prior, Tonka, Medicine, Independence, or I could go east to White Bear, Bald Eagle, Forest Lake? I tend to like smaller lakes better but don’t mind going to Tonka if I have a good plan ahead of time.

How light do I need to go, tackle-wise? I have 10lb mono on my preferred 3 reels and I don’t want to re-string. The kids have a couple of cabela’s spincasters they got from the DNR last summer. Is it worth it to set em up with some 6lb or would I better off using my better rods/reels with the 10 lb?

I’m planning to go ultra simple: slip bobber atop crappie minnows with a single hook and minimal split-shot.

Thanks guys!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

All of those lakes are good and 10lb will be fine. Keep your bobber moving to entice bites. This will help work different levels in the water column. 10 fow or less near and in weeds.

mr-special
    MPLS

Any of those lakes will be good. Stick to shallower water north side or th lake and find the warmest water.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks, guys!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.