Ice fishing line

• Umy
    South Metro

This year will bring a much welcomed intensified effort at ice fishing.
    That being said, looking to ask what the ideal line would be to have on my ice reels.
    Mostly panfish and the occasional walleye foray.
    Any favorites or “musts” in your opinion?
    I know we all have tendencies and brand loyalties but perhaps, type and lb.

Thanks guys

Jimmy Jones

I don’t ice fish but I do a lot of real late season dock jigging and have been using Clam’s Frost braid line for the last couple years and really like it. Maybe a little hard to see at three pound test but it seems to be a fairly strong line. I use the clear color, maybe a little gray, but its not a standout line if you need it to be but it does come in a bright yellow too.

ekruger01

I would say go with a 4lb mono. I like the Clam line the most, but also use the Suffix Advanced mono (6LB) on my walleye specific gear.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I use 3-4 lb on my panfish rods and 6 lb mono and braid to fluoro leader on my walleye rods. I also use Clam Frost mono and braid. Gold is really nice.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have been happy with Sufix Ice Majic mono (3lb) for my panfish rods and Sufix ice braid with an 8lb mono leader for walleyes

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I use the Suffix ice magic 3lb for pannies and 6lb on the walleye rods which don’t get used much.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I really love Lindy’s ice line. got it free at the ice show about 10 years ago and that is all i have ever used. 3lb for panfish. i use braid to a fluoro leader on all my walleye rods.

Aboxy17

I used the clam frost line last year and it was ok from what I can remember. I pretty much just stick to suffix for open water and hard water. I use 3 lb for panfish and 4-5 lb mono for walleye. I did use floro leaders for the first time last year for walleye and have become a fan.

rjohnson8404

If you are going to fish outside a lot or hole hope I would stick with monofilament line. I am not brand specific but I also find mostly suffix in tackle.

I run 2lb for panfish and 6 for walleyes

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

About the only thing I like from clam is the ice line, I spool up with junk mono then tie in leaders of 2 pound fluoro for panfish, I think sunline makes an amazing strong line

B-man

Sufix makes some good stuff, their Elite “summer” line works in the winter too lol

Umy
    South Metro

Thanks everyone. I will be giving a couple of these lines an option this winter.
    Hopefully ( hole hoping is FUNNY) fish will find my presentations appetizing g.

milemark_714

Sufix Ice Magic,3lb for panfish and 6lb for gamefish.Have not found a braid line that does not ice-up below freezing.Fireline micro ice was terrible,Power Pro icetec not much better.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Any line out in the elements is going to ice up somewhat.

I second the ice magic as I have been using it for years. 3 pd for panfish… sometimes I go to 2 but rarely.

I do use the braid if I am in a shack for walleye with a leader.

Honestly I have been using Pline 6-8 pound line on my walleye rods and I use the open water kind not any type of ice line and it has been good to me. I use this on my IFish Pro Set ups as well as for jigging.

Erik Swenson

Use mono you have from the summer in 3-6 lb. Use a softer one to compensate for the cold temps. I personally still use Trilene XL and it works just fine similarly to what some others noted above. It’s mostly marketing tactics to differentiate open water and ice lines…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I keep different rods spooled up differently for different applications.

My panfish rods all get 2# mono with a swivel and 3-4′ of a leader tied directly to whatever lure/jig/hook is being used. Line twist with mono is tough, and this takes out some of the spinning of lures that turn off fish. I’m not a big basin crappie guy sorting through dinks in 30′ of water, so the sensitivity I miss out on without braid isn’t an issue. 90% of my panfish time is spent on the river in less than 12′ of water. 2# seems light, but with the proper drag it’s never been an issue on perch up to 14″.

For walleyes my rods get 5 or 6# mono if used outside. I have had good luck with Clam’s mono and plan to go that way again this year. Suffix is alright, but seems a bit stiffer. I again tie to a tiny swivel and then to 4-5′ leader. If using spoons I will use the small clip, if using bare hooks/jigs I tie direct.

I generally only keep a couple rigs ready with 8# braid and a leader. These are used specifically for fishing in shacks as I cannot stand line that is icing up. I’ve had luck with PowerPro in the winter and haven’t seen any need to go elsewhere for braid.

Umy
    South Metro

THanks to ICEAGER I have a NEW AquaVU for my ice fishing season this year.
    With my existing skillset, underwater camera technology and unlimited patience (?!?!?!) I might even catch a keeper this year!!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Before most of the big companies actually developed some ice lines, they just repackaged it into smaller spools labeled for ice fishing line. However there are some actual ice fishing lines that does perform much better for ice fishing over that of the typical open water lines. Most notable is the lack of line stiffness due to cold temperature. The majority of open water lines stiffens up as the temps drops.

If we use Berkley for example there is a difference in the Cold Weather line vs the standard XL line.

And sometimes one might want a different effect like look into fly line tippets. Sometimes the fish are finicky.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

1 to 2lb suffix ice on gill/crappie spring bobber rods and 3lb on my noodle rods (perch/crappie)

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

Seaguar Invizx 4lb for eater-size walleye and 6lb. if you’re after bigger ones.
    3lb. floro for any panfish setup. I usually use FC Sniper.

JEREMY
    BP

I might even catch a keeper this year!!

If you do you better throw it back.

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>
    I might even catch a keeper this year!!

If you do you better throw it back.

No worries there – fish are nasty – I throw every one back and go home and grill BEEF!!

robby
    Quad Cities

P-Line Floroice or P-Line Floroclear, I believe is the same line, but not certain. Very strong, thin, sensative. I use 2 and 3 pound. I have a lot of confidence in this line.

Andy Fischer

I exclusively fish for crappies/bluegills. Sufix Invisiline Ice- 3 lb flouro is all I use. Strong enough for the occasional walleye, pike, or sheephead. I don’t use snaps or swivels- tie directly to the jig. Usually mid-winter, I’ll change and put all new line on my reels since it does get a memory on my spinning reels.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.