Ice fishing lake vermilion

• Rory Oberhelman

I have been ice fishing early ice on lake vermilion for a few years now and I have yet to consistantly find larger walleye. We have been catching lots of fish under 14 inches with a few here or there that are in the slot. We move around and drill holes until we are on fish. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding larger walleye on early ice. Also any suggestions for finding crappies and sunfish?

Also has anyone put in up on the northeastern part of the lake for some winter fishing? I usually go in through Sudan/Tower area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had the boat out on vermilion on Saturday. Pike bay is iced over but much of the lake is still wide open. We caught a couple small ones in 15′ of water off of structure. Ice is on its way.

Good luck.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Heading up this weekend how is the fishing.

Rory Oberhelman

2 weeks ago the fishing was good. I went to Red Lake instead of Vermilion this last weekend just to try something new.

On Vermilion we were catching fish in 25-30 feet of water. I tried practically every VMC and Rapala jig on the market and the only thing that consistently put fish on the ice was a chub on a dead stick. I did catch one Burbot on a pink flash champ. I had no idea they were even in Vermilion. Everything we caught was between 13 and 16 1/2 inches.

Good luck

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Have you tried shallower water during early ice??? I’m not sure where you have moving water and its always treacherous to fish, but they make a false run suring the fall and perhaps those areas might attract early season fish that are more targetable when trying to break down a body of water like vermilion…

Mark

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Thanks for the info guys

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.