Ice Fishing Flies

• brushy19

Gents, was wondering who uses ice flies for finicky panfish/perch? I’ve been looking at ordering some, mainly Scud/Freshwater shrimp and bloodworm type. I know absolutely nothing about flies or sizes. Can anyone who uses these help me out with sizes and their favorites for perch.

Thanks in advance!!

tucrs
    NW Metro

I can help a little with that as I changed to using some flies last year.
    Jeff’s Jigs are one of my favorite jigs for panfish as well as the Rapala ones.
    I always go in the middle size to start. Mfg makes 3 I pick the middle one if I am buying a lure for the first time.

Jeff’s jigs I like the 12 size Zoo bugs

Rapala like in the tungsten fly I use a lot of 1/32. 1/64 I feel are too light for the area I am in. And 1/16 feels heavy. I try to vary my colors and buy bright ones as well as a couple subtle ones.

I do buy always in pairs now. If I find something that works well I like having a spare.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

If you tie a little hairs ear nymph or some other small nymph they can work wonders behind a more aggressive jigging bait or a tungsten jig.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

If you’re just looking for bloodworm you could could just wrap red thread around a little hook, that would probably work great

riverruns
    Inactive

Hello all,

I am a custom jig maker from Green Bay, WI. I tie many varieties of hand-tied jigs. Most use tungsten! I have a Tungsten ice jig that perfectly resembles a Freshwater Shrimp. Many of my Tungsten ice jigs could be categorized as “ice flies”. Take a look at my online store and Facebook page to find out more!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AaronsCustomsTying/

Website: https://aaronsplan.wixsite.com/aaronscustomtying/shop

Aaron

I ordered a bunch of jigs a couple years ago from Aaron. Happy with his products. toast

brushy19

Thanks guys. I’m definitely going to try some this year. My thoughts are to have a tungsten about 12″ up from just a plain hook fly. This way the plain hook will slowly flutter and sink to the bottom more lifelike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.