Ice Fishing Etiquette?

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

A few years back on a South Dakota pond, not really doing all that great. Had a circle of a dozen holes for two of us for hole hopping, 2 guys pull up on wheelers, pretty certain that they are running and gunning. Took our outside 2 holes, no big deal till the one guy was constantly calling people on his phone, talking very loud, ton of garbage coming out of his mouth. Decided to use my buddies old loud Jiffy and cut some more holes right next to him. Took some work, he finally moved. Some folks they have a guilty conscious if they even come close to where you’re set up, others they don’t give a second thought. I’m with you Joe, if they ask I’m good. I also have no problems telling where they can fish.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Idk, cmon now fellas. We are the fishing forum gurus. We deserve respect darn it.

Let’s start a bring it back ol school thread. None of this panzy your a bigger person BS, walk away crap, yeah, gooooood for youuuuu. Fish my holes, I’m kicking out your bucket, giving ya a fat lip then taking your precision noodle out of principle. Everyone complains and passively biatches on forums, not this site, we kick a$$ and take names. Yeah you candy a$$ blue ranger guide guy who cut me off last weekend, how’s it feel to have a man of respect jump on board, break all your gloomis rods, take your limits of saugers and a bag of those hard to find flukes and be gone. Probably gonna slow it down now around the lil guys. No more drilling holes on top of you at sunset after you walk up to the dbags and turn their auger propane into a molotov cocktail right into their custom fitted snowmobile fishing machine. Respect fellas. You don’t get it, you earn it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nothing at all amazes me while fishing anymore. On the water, on ice and on shore we’ll see all sorts so one best be ready to either find somewhere else to pop a hole and drop the trolling motor. With the way society is today we can’t trust anyone that we don’t personally know. Its not worth a fight even if a guy would like to feed some of these guys a couple feet of 2X4. I do carry the phone though and I do have several area sheriff’s departments phone numbers in the contacts and if I meet someone who warrants a call I make it….a simply courtesy for others that may have to put up with an idiot.

I love fishing but I’m not going to put myself in the middle of a situation that can get out of hand.

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>
    Like Randy’s “world I woke up to” post, there’s lots of jerks out there that come in every shape and size. I just find it’s a lot easier to be thoughtful and courteous to the people around me, makes my little corner of the world a nicer place to live in.

I agree 100%

Funny! I was thinking about his thread too.

I talked to Randy about this.Sometimes I wonder if there is a difference between the morning crowd vs afternoon/evening?Like those guys woke up on the wrong side of the bed,or someone peed in their Cheerios?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Just bring a can of hot pink spray paint and initial your holes. Problem solved.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

It’s very irritating when people fish your holes, but it’s best to get over it or it will ruin the sport, at least for me. I popped 40 holes on a lake in an empty community hole yesterday, and soon and I was fishing with 6 other guys. Nobody fired up another auger. Some didn’t even have any. Vulturing holes was their plan.

There are a good number of ice anglers that aren’t good sportsman and aren’t respectful human beings; they’re just a-holes. I saw that right away when I began ice fishing a few years ago. Ice fishing seems to really attract them far more than open-water fishing or hunting. Accept it and move on, or it takes away from the sport. Took me a couple seasons to get there, but it’s still crappy when people pull that.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Vulturing holes. jester

flanders51

Ok, since somebody started this thread, I am going let my own rant go: it seems like EVERY TIME I am on fish, somebody, invariably, shows up, drills darn close to me or motors their boat close to me. Sometimes, I have worked all day to FINALLY get on some fish (or I may not even be on fish) yet people still sidle up on me. Why are people so lazy? Go find your own pattern. Please don’t crowd me, but, if you insist, please ask nicely. I will probably say hello and tell you what I am using.

I take my fishing seriously and I am creative about finding fish and thinking HARD about it. Inevitably, somebody comes over, stares at me, and starts fishing next to me. I feel like a damn magnet or something. I never do that to people. Figure your own spots out for crying out loud!

Ok, done. Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.

flanders51

Ok, since somebody started this thread, I am going let my own rant go: it seems like EVERY TIME I am on fish, somebody, invariably, shows up, drills darn close to me or motors their boat close to me. Sometimes, I have worked all day to FINALLY get on some fish (or I may not even be on fish) yet people still sidle up on me. Why are people so lazy? Go find your own pattern. Please don’t crowd me, but, if you insist, please ask nicely. I will probably say hello and tell you what I am using.

I take my fishing seriously and I am creative about finding fish and thinking HARD about it. Inevitably, somebody comes over, stares at me, and starts fishing next to me. I feel like a damn magnet or something. I never do that to people. Figure your own spots out for crying out loud!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

flanders51 wrote (twice?):

Thinking HARD about it? whistling

If you look like this flanders, I could understand. Should you be surprised?

I’m guessing you don’t look like this flanders…so? I think you’re just imagining things…maybe paranoid?

And, you’re welcome for letting you vent. lol

Attachments:
    1. bass.png

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.