Ice Fishing Before Thanksgiving?

• Thomas Brynildson
    Otter Tail County

Looking at the 10 day forecast, it seems very possible we could have fishable ice in the area within the next 7-8 days. If we can avoid any major wind, we should have some smaller bodies of water locking up. We’ll have night time temps in the lower teens and even some nights slipping into the single digits. Anyone else looking to brave the early ice here soon?? I’ll bring the life jackets…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

We have ice on the edges of many bodies of water in Alexandria already! Sounds like a warm up next week but we’ll have to see. As a kid we ice fished Thanksgiving frequently.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Some ice was on the ponds and small lakes in WI last weekend but think the wind took care of that. Hoping for some good ice fast )

catmando
    wis

We have ice on the edges of many bodies of water in Alexandria already! Sounds like a warm up next week but we’ll have to see. As a kid we ice fished Thanksgiving frequently.

Lol ,for some of us,you are a kid ! santa

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

Lol ,for some of us,you are a kid ! santa

I should have specified… 30yrs ago we fished Thanksgiving frequently waytogo

deertracker

I’ll be checking a couple small lakes in the Alexandria area next week. One of my spots is only 10 yards off shore so I might be good.
    DT

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

We need a warm snap….keep the ice away.

Charles

Love it a warm up is coming, yeah low 30’s as long as we get no wind and temps freezing at night we should start slowy making ice.

404 ERROR
    MN

I remember growing up and hitting the ice for the first time each year on Thanksgiving morning with my brother while my Mother made the meal. I still make a ritual of going to the same spot to check ice. The last few years have been un-fishable, but we still go…

bigpike

Ice on the local pond on the drive home. Protected bays and back waters including the one in my back yard. Could be on ice early next week! Here Wally wally!

Chaz Dobias

I guessing on Upper Red ill be letting clients out of Boondocks Thanksgiving Day. Possibly a few days sooner. Depends on wind pulling the sheet apart and when lower locks up! I offer my New Ice Castles for lodging on shore during Early Ice if Interested! 4man House $100 a night Per House 6 man is $150 a night Per House! Generator, TV DVD, plus much more is included.
    Freeze Baby Freeze!!

Some smaller lakes will be a go! Be safe tho!

Attachments:
    1. 6man2-1.jpg

2. 6man-1.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

This will be the 5th year in a row I have fished on thanksgiving on small lakes near ely.

I would say its a rare year there isn’t at least 3″ of ice on local small lakes near ely on thanksgiving.

dbright
    Cambridge

The past 2 years I have been able to get out the second weekend of rifle season.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The past 2 years I have been able to get out the second weekend of rifle season.

Was out last year on the second weekend near Aitkin. Bringing tip ups with this weekend. And a life jacket.

deertracker

Yes, remember your life jackets and throwables early on.
    DT

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.