Ice electric auger

• Jake Sonnentag

I’m looking for a new auger an electric one what is everyone’s opinion on these?

Beast Fisher

save some money, buy a K-Drill or NILS USA convertible auger and get a cordless electric drill with 1000+ in/lb torque (milwaukee and makita have one for around $200) and then you have the best setup you can get for cheaper.

I got the makita and nils setup and i have drilled 60 holes in a day without running out of battery, its amazing.

If i did it again i might consider the K-Drill because its lighter weight.

mrpike1973

What Beast Fisher said. Ditto

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Keep in mind when going with a K-Drill or a Laser hand auger and a cordless drill, you have to have a cordless drill with enough torque so for some it may involve purchasing a new cordless drill too

Rick Janssen

I have a two year old Strike Mater electric. I bought it when my old gas one finely died. It uses the same battery as my depth finder so I just carry 3 batteries with me when I go out. I have never run out of juice and I cut a lot of holes in a day. My only problem with my drill is that it is slower than I would like. I like that is also comes with an adapter that you can hook up to your 12 volt car/truck battery if that is an option. Here in Iowa I don’t drive my truck out often so I just carry my regular batteries.

I would be interested in selling it, as I would like to by the K-Drill to save myself some weight. Like I said, I normally pull everything in my sled so weight is a factor. Electric is still lighter than my old gas auger though.

If you would like to make on offer on my auger, let me know.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

There are some nice Drill/Auger combos out there I have seen pros and cons to them…

I still like the Electric Lithium Auger and when Strike Master came out with the new 40v I was a very happy camper !!!

There is no sudden snap of the cutting.. it is ergonomically friendly, the weight is a mere 24 lbs with the 8″ bit and the brush less motor will last a very long time… It has a 15.9 to 1 gear ration which makes it the fastest cutting electric on the market… It does have forward and reverse as well… I personally have not used this feature before so I have no input on that..

That’s my .02 worth… I know there are a lot of options out there but make sure to give this one a look over before making a decision !!

Bring On The Ice !!!

404 ERROR
    MN

I love my Nils and Dewalt setup. I love it enough that my Tanaka only goes in the truck on longer trips now…Last year was my first year and I was skeptical to say the least. I also have stated on here for the last 3+ years that I would not make the switch to electric…now here I am…

The Nils bits are still most likely the fastest cutting augers on the market, but not by much anymore. Strikemaster lazer and K-drill bits are almost just as fast and the blades are a FRACTION of the cost. If I didn’t already have multiple Nils bits and blades, I would have gone with the K-drill for how light it is and the cost of blades. Plus the Lazer and K-drill blades are MUCH stronger than the Nils.

MnPat1

Plus the Lazer and K-drill blades are MUCH stronger than the Nils.

You couldn’t be more wrong. The nils blade is made from hardened steel not soft stainless like the lazer.

jgross
    Northeast SD

100% KDRILL, been running it and a Milwaukee fuel going on 3 years and these things have changed ice fishing!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You couldn’t be more wrong. The nils blade is made from hardened steel not soft stainless like the lazer.

FYI… hardened steel in cold weather equals brittle and fragile. I suspect neither makes a poor product.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’m big on the StrikeMaster Lithium Lazer. Other than the flimsy plastic trigger that I bumped and broke once last season ($40), it’s an ideal auger. I pounded nearly 50 holes through 24″ of Mille Lacs ice last season on a single charge before it died.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.