ice cleats

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

What type is everyone using these days? I have the HT ones that only have cleats on the toes, and they suck, I need something better. hoping to stop in at Fleet Farm in a few hours and pick up a new pair. Thanks

ps0345

kahtoola MICROspikes are worth the money. I will never go to cheap ones ever again.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

kahtoola MICROspikes +1

Chris Schoblocher

I have two different sets. I use YakTrax Pro and I also have the YakTrax XTR extreme.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like my Yaktrax

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

well I picked up a pair of yaktrax diamond grip, I hope they work well, thanks everyone

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Doesn’t the rubber always break, the did in all the various types of cleats I’ve had and watch my buddies have the same problem

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

STABILicers Maxx

Used the same pair for at least 6 years. Still going!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I have two different sets. I use YakTrax Pro and I also have the YakTrax XTR extreme.

The Xtr extreme will be your last pair you ever buy
    They are the best I’ve ever had

Sam
    St.Francis

Husqvarna boot studs they are pushed directly into the boot I don’t wear my boots for anything else so they are good for me as they are not removable

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I did a test with my dad on Yaktrax Diamond Grips ($45-50) vs Yaktrax Chains ($20-25). For one month of ice fishing, we wore a Diamond on one foot, and a Chain on the other. In the end, we couldn’t tell the difference between the two, and had to look down to tell which was which. The Diamonds were returned and a second set of Chains were purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Chains-Trekkers-Black-X-Large/dp/B01IB76EUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483193335&sr=8-1&keywords=yaktraxs%2Bchains&th=1&psc=1

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I use Hillsound, very similar to Khatoola Micros but cheaper.

If you ask me Yak traks are no where near what the Khatoolas are. Even the extremes have issues with snow building up on them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I did a test with my dad on Yaktrax Diamond Grips ($45-50) vs Yaktrax Chains ($20-25). For one month of ice fishing, we wore a Diamond on one foot, and a Chain on the other. In the end, we couldn’t tell the difference between the two, and had to look down to tell which was which. The Diamonds were returned and a second set of Chains were purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Chains-Trekkers-Black-X-Large/dp/B01IB76EUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483193335&sr=8-1&keywords=yaktraxs%2Bchains&th=1&psc=1

That’s cool how you tested and good to know the chains work so well for half the price. Thanks.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

In going on my 8th season of Yaktrax walks and I can’t complain. At $20 with hundreds of miles of ice covered they seem to be an awesome fit. They take less than 10 seconds to put on or take off. In my opinion, the coil design gives you a more regular footing than any of the sharp cleats.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve have yak trax for a long time, if I lose them I’ll buy them again.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I am so glad I got a new pair of cleats the yaktrak diamond grips made me feel like I was walking on dry pavement even though the lakes are slicker then I have ever seen them with out water being on top of the ice. thanks everyone for your input, I may be getting my wife a set of yaktrak chains too

mcarlsen

I agree about the microspikes. I got them as a gift from my father in law for Christmas a few years ago. Was out last night on glaze ice with a buddy that had a standard pair. He was still slipping up a bit and I am pretty sure I could have walked up a iced up tree trunk. Very impressed with them.

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

I’m surprised at all the positive reviews of YakTracks. I tried them 2 seasons and never had a pair last for half of a season.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Yep, me either, I’ve spent enough on those types of cleats

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Kahtoolas, hands down. 4 years into them and definitely worth the money. Still look brand new

Cody O’Reilley
    Maple Grove, MN

stabilicers all the way. you can fit them over pretty much any boot(i wear ice kings), and the studs are replaceable if you ever wear them out.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I like my Yaktrax

Me too. Haven’t seen a need to change for a few years now.

Yoshi

NEOs overshoes with screw in cleats at the bottom.

The go over your boot and are completely waterproof

marvins
    Kansas

Gonna throw a vote for Stabilicer MAX. No cheap rubber straps that break.

David Bollig

I have used hex head 3/8 inch sheet metal screws in my Rockys for years. 4-5 dollars for a box of 50. Use about 8 per boot, if they come out replace. I have size 13 boots so I have to take off to drive obviously, do not wear in a wheel house but would not wear them there anyway as way to big and clumsy. Fishing out of my one man Pro on bare early ice the only way to go. I have a pair of Yaks for my light boots but they are not as good IMO.

Ryan Wilson

I wear size 14 Muck Arctic Pros and drive my Chevy HHR just fine…You can do it!
    6′ tall and 250# around…talk about small spaces, my head touches the ceiling. It’s like driving a roller skate lol

Having said that, Kahtoola’s leave me knowing I’m 100% not going to slip or fall due to slick ice. I would like to get some of the cheaper Hillsounds to compare though. However, I have no future plans on replacing my microspikes.

troutbum
    St. Paul

I really dig kahtoolas. Pricey but good stuff.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I am stuck between the Yaktrax, ICEtrckkers and the Kahtoolas. Only reason I haven’t already bought the Kahtoolas is sometimes I fish out of my Jeep and I don’t want to put a hole through my weathertechs or even worse, step on some of the fabric in my fish house and put a hole in it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.