Ice castle modifications

• orve4

Just purchased a new to me RV addition ice castle. What are some must haves that you must have for you wheel house? what are some good storage ideas as that space seems to be short. Just looking for some ideas of how you maximize your space and what you do. First time owner just looking for some tricks and what works for other people. I know most of it will be trial and error.
    Thanks

Go Spuds

Dumb but it works for us-
    we have a tote that we put dirty dishes in that we keep outside–not having to worry about that while on the ice or camping has been nice

Coletrain27

The first couple times you use it you will learn a lot. In my glacier we use the side bunk as storage for clothes and equipment.

Hole sleeves
    Hole covers for rattle reels
    Slush bucket
    Rattle reels
    Extra fuses
    Extra thermostat
    Extra furnace parts
    Old Towels for drying the floor
    Blocks leveling and for on the ice
    Ice chisel
    Spare tire
    Extra Carbon monoxide detector
    Decent generator
    Extension cords
    Electric auger with extension
    Spare heater or two
    Fan
    Duct tape
    Zip ties
    Wd-40 or any kind
    Shovels
    Truck chains
    Electrical meter
    Extra generator oil
    Starting fluid

These are some of the things I bring. If you have Facebook look up the ice castle groups on there and you will learn tons of great info.

Coletrain27

I mounted a storage box on the back of mine this year and works great for blocks, cords and misc things and frees up a lot of room in the truck or shack

Attachments:
    1. D66BF382-C9D7-47D8-A823-3D52D47BE3F0-scaled.jpeg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I mounted a storage box on the back of mine this year and works great for blocks, cords and misc things and frees up a lot of room in the truck or shack

That looks like a great idea. waytogo

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Coletrain pretty much nailed it. Just remember like you said storage is at a minimum so once you use it a few times ditch what you are not going to use. Welcome to Wheelhouse ownership.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Oh almost forgot the most important thing is strobe lights and the tallest flag pole you can find with Go Brandon flags. jester

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I don’t have a permanent but I saw a lot of guys this year using big Rubbermaid totes for generator covers. Looked like a great idea. Keeps the wind off your generator, snow out of it, and a little shelter that it self-warms. Guys did have a 4 inch hole in for exhaust

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh almost forgot the most important thing is strobe lights and the tallest flag pole you can find with Go Brandon flags. jester

Yes please keep your strobes on and all super bright flashing lights on. All night long so you blind any neighbors you might have.
    And the really dumb huge flag poles are a must have

Coletrain27

I don’t have a permanent but I saw a lot of guys this year using big Rubbermaid totes for generator covers. Looked like a great idea. Keeps the wind off your generator, snow out of it, and a little shelter that it self-warms. Guys did have a 4 inch hole in for exhaust

I made my own last year and posted it on here. I use it every weekend no matter how cold it is and it’s a lot quieter while running inside the box.

Attachments:
    1. C3D3880D-26F7-4159-B637-7CFE66ED95A4-scaled.jpeg

2. 8A578C18-3DAC-40E8-9429-45624123639B-scaled.jpeg

3. 161E319C-EEFF-4B4A-9A8B-28D6300F8ECC-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Does it ever get to warm in that box, especially with all the heat tape ? That’s a good idea

Coletrain27

Ive never had a problem with it getting too hot. It gets warm but not as warm as you would think. The cover on the front can flip up on a hinge if it’s really warm outside. The back side where the exhaust and fan blow out I used a household duct return vent.

Coletrain27

Fished in a few blizzards this year and watched the neighbors generators ice up and quit running and never had a issue with mine. Beat mod I’ve done for ice fishing IMO

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

We added a sure step to ours. The ice and snow out side the door can get very slippery after a few days.

Nodakk

Cole train started a good list. I copied a list that was compiled from an old thread on here on more safety type items

-Tow Strap
    -Jumper cables/jumper pack
    -Buddy heater & extra propane tank
    -Spare plug & oil for generator
    -Backup extension cord(s)
    -Ratchet/Socket kit
    -Floor jack (way quicker for changing a tire than the scissor jack)
    -Lug nut wrench YOU CONFIRM fits the wheelhouse lug nuts
    -Spare high limit switch for furnace
    – Torch and lock antifreeze spray for frozen doors
    – rubber mallet for chipping ice out of entry door frame; etc
    – electric milk box heater as a backup. Will burn through generator gas but I won’t sleep with a big buddy on.
    – electric blanket or hand warmers to wrap around propane regulator when really cold.
    – spare thermostat
    – I know some guys who also bring a spare regulator
    – spade shovel
    – grain shovel
    – buddy with a spare truck

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Cole did you buy that orange shack from Amanda at pleasure land

Doug M
    SE SD

Anyone add one of those electric fireplaces for the electric heat backup? We also use the side bunk as storage for clothes, totes, etc. I built a 3×3 mini deck for in front of the door out of spare perm decking pieces I had.

I want to remove the rear bunk and put in cabinets. Anyone done this?

Coletrain27

If all your gonna use the electric fireplace is for a backup then just get a electric milk house heater for a spare heat source and it won’t take up floor space for everyday fishing

castle-rock-clown

I love my fakey fireplace. Gives heat and ambiance and another surface to place something.

Attachments:
    1. C72EBFBB-90CD-4EE8-90DF-9FFA754235A9-scaled.jpeg

queenswake
    NULL

I suggest looking through Youtube videos for wheelhouse ideas and also RV ideas as a lot of it is the same. At the very minimum, have dedicated totes for the stuff that you keep in the truck and bring back and forth. Just like camping, you just want to grab them and go and not have to pack anything. Dedicated extension cords, ratch straps, wheel chocks, etc just for the wheel house.

Bernice Rossen

thanks for this discussion, i was looking for something like this.

buck-slayer

I don’t use the table set up in my Stinger so I cut a piece of plywood that is as big as the bottom bed. I screwed kickers on each end of the wall and built a brace for the middle. Pull out that plywood and use cushions from top bunk to make a double bed down below. Works great.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.