Ice camping toilet tips

• Dustin

I just purchased a 1999 Salem Lite 24ft camping trailer for ice camping this year. I’ve got the wife and young kids with me so I’m in need of ideas how to use the toilet without freezing / dumping etc. does anyone have any tips they use for this situation. Worried about freezing lines. What are my options?

Adam Steffes

5 gallon bucket with garbage bag liner should do it.

Cam White

I would go this route. Anything with water won’t work.

James Almquist

You can put a few blocks of wood on a toilet seat so it stays centered on the bucket which makes it more comfortable. Might have to cut down a bucket for the kids. Also you might want to look at travel trailers that are made for this type of weather. Some will offer a 4 season package which heats the area where the pipes are located to avoid the freezing temps and are insulated better.

Coletrain27

We use a tall 6 gallon bucket and made a wood seat that attaches to the wall and can be removed. We use plastic bags and throw them out on the ice to freeze and whenever we head to shore we take them with us and throw them in the dumpster

TMF89

If bringing a small, cheap one man hub is an option, I’d recommend that. Bring along a heater and then you can do your business in relative warmth and comfort, without stinking up the main house. Plus they collapse down and don’t take up much room, and can keep people entertained if they want to do some hole hopping.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Adam Steffes wrote:</div>

I would go this route. Anything with water won’t work.

X3. And as someone else mentioned bring a hub house so a person can have some privacy and do their business outside of the main quarters.

A hub house is also good to serve as a cooking station/place to pile jackets and augers…

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Stinking up the house is part of the fun.

Coletrain27

can of air freshener in the shack takes care of the smell. in my opinion taking another hub shack is just a extra thing to haul and setup and have to deal with.

B-man

Surprised no one had mentioned Kitty Litter yet.

Use a pail with a bag and toilet seat lid, then dump in a few cups or so of kitty litter before doing the deed.

Reef W

Reliance also makes “Double Doodie” bags that work in any bucket. They have some kind of gel that solidifies liquids and contains odors in them and then zip shut and go into a really strong outer bag that also zips shut for transport.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

X3. And as someone else mentioned bring a hub house so a person can have some privacy and do their business outside of the main quarters.

A hub house is also good to serve as a cooking station/place to pile jackets and augers…
    [/quote]

The idea of a combo bathroom/cooking station doesn’t sound very appealing to me.
    whistling

James Almquist

Another option would be a SereneLife Portable Toilet from Amazon. It cost right around $100. The bad part is someone has to empty it when you get home.

deertracker

My buddy has a toilet in his fish house that once you are done, you hit a button and it twists the bag and seals in the smell for the next person. Kind of like a diaper genie. Pretty slick.
    DT

AK Guy

Use a pail with a bag and toilet seat lid, then dump in a few cups or so of kitty litter before doing the deed.

This works great.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The idea of a combo bathroom/cooking station doesn’t sound very appealing to me.

What’s that new seasoning you used on the chicken? whistling

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

We use a cassette toilet and it rocks. No more dealing with crap bags, just have to know of a dump station on the way to or near home.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Your travel trailer already has a dedicated bathroom so I don’t understand the responses about “privacy”. If you want something a bit more stable than a bucket, look into “bedside commodes” for the elderly and those with a medical issue. They also sell “commode liners”, a specialized bag, designed to be used in conjunction with the commode, for leak free discreet disposal.

Deuces

They make specialized refuse baggies that are much better option for women, can go #1 multiple times for reuse, the gel beads in the bag help alot w the smell. #2 works well too, might be able to reuse, I haven’t tried it yet w my kiddos. Id probably use kitty litter in conjunction w the bags, except I’d throw it on top of the doody. Bags ain’t too cheap

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Sawdust works better than kitty litter and is cheaper or free for some.

buck-slayer

Get a swimming noodle and cut it so it fits the top of 5 gal bucket. Nice soft seat.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Get a Luggable Loo at Fleet Farm for $25

mrpike1973

Would have never thought of kitty litter. Now I can fight the cats for the kitty box hah

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Since I don’t identify as a cat I will stick to using sawdust. Free and not as heavy. doah

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.