Ice Auger

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Thinking of getting a new auger. 8 inch. What do you guys like and why.
    Thanks!!

Spencer Haugen

I got the strike master Honda lite and love it quiet starts in the coldest of temps no mixing gas no smoke always fires in one or two pulls

404 ERROR
    MN

The big three, IMO is the Strikemaster Honda Lite, Ion and the Jiffy Pro 4 lite. People use Eskimo’s and swear by them, people use their 1970’s Jiffy and swear by them. It all comes down to preference and how you fish. Personally, I use a Nils Tanaka and wouldn’t trade it for any auger in the world. Head to the store and see what would fit your needs, and most of all price. Most people settle on Strikemaster, they are a good brand with a good reputation.

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you drill less than 40 holes in an outing, then there’s no reason to not go with an Ion… love mine…

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

They’re all good, not a bad one out there. Buy an auger-gas-propane-electric for the kind of fishing you do. Chippers are much more dependable than laser blades though.

wiel0059

Like Merican Eagle said, your fishing style really plays into this. I personally have an 8″ ION and love it. I personally would hate having to go back to a gas auger now… I was initially worried about battery life on the ice, but I have 2 batteries and 95% of the time would only need one and I drill more holes than most.

The extreme lightweight, no exhaust, and literally pressing a button to drill are all awesome. I’m not a guide, but I take a TON of people out fishing, including kids, and I love being able to give them the full ice fishing experience. With the ION, everyone I take out can drill holes, many times the first time they’ve been able to do it and they think its a blast, so I love that too. When I’m out with big groups I also use a hub quite a bit, and being able to set it up and then drill the holes inside works awesome.

My next choice if I had to give up the ION would be the Eksimo HC40. I have two buddies with those units and they run great. Still don’t have to worry about gas, and no fumes. They’ve never had issues with them starting in very cold weather, either. (Just noting this because I see it as a concern from a lot of ice anglers thinking about propane.)

As far as feedback from ‘us’ on the forum, understanding your fishing style would help give insight! How many holes do you normally drill? Do you drill in a shack ever? Etc.

Being in Iowa, your ice depths most likely don’t approach what some of us in Northern WI and even more so in Northern MN see. With this in mind, Electric really could be a great option for you, IMO.

Mike Bettenburg

I have had an 8″ ION for three years and its just easy. Its nice to be able to move around with a flasher and the ION and scout out fish before you set up. Its light and there is no hassle of restarting it. Even when the ice is deep I have never had a problem with it getting through. One tip is to not leave the battery in and lay it on the ice. It will drain quicker. I take it out and leave it in the truck. Well worth the extra $ and makes it easy to want to go out more. Hope this helps.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If you arent sure and want one auger that will do it all, get gas.
    I have an older 2hp Jiffy and love it but if I bought one today it would be a SM Solo. They sing through ice. I am having a blast with my new ION but I dont expect to use it much in Feb/Mar once the ice is real thick.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If you are on a budget, the Polar Fire line of augers start at $180 at stockmans

http://www.stockmanfarmsupply.com/weeklyad/osseostoreweeklyad.html

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/VHk-L1u7hOE?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid345402″></iframe></div></div>
    <div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/86dVwaRsY0U?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid738481″></iframe></div></div>
    They have a 4 stroke as well

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/VWP1xUSrvUg?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid93326″></iframe></div></div>
    <div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/iMMy_kRgoLs?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid957286″></iframe></div></div>

That’s hilarious!! I watched the videos. They work. Disposable augers??

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’ve had my Jiffy SD60i (gas model) for 2 years now and love it. Never had a problem with it, like what Boss Hawg said the chipper blades are way more dependable than the lazer blades. I’d stick with a chipper because they’re tougher and will continuously drill holes. I haven’t sharpened my auger since I got it and I drill at least 30 holes a day when I go fishing, most I’ve drilled was right around the 110 mark. Like I said haven’t had to sharpen it yet! Always starts 2nd or 3rd pull!

I like my Strikemaster electric auger. It is very quite so you don’t interrupt any other fishermen. Also, it can drill hundreds of holes with it on one battery charge. It comes with a cord to charge it with your four wheeler. It also cuts chunks of ice. Its great.

Attachments:
    1. 135222_ts.jpg

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I just saw some kind of auger at Menards for like $189 and you get a 2 man house with it! That must be a doosey.

Phil Pickering
    Janesville, WI

Propane is my choice. I picked up an Eskimo last year and love it. Started on the second pull out of the box and first pull this season. No gas/oil mix to spill. No choke. No warm up time before you start cutting. I love it.

Doug Ledlie
    Southern Iowa

There’s a guy selling those ht polar fire augers down here in Iowa too. Thought they’d have to be pretty cheap made but had a buddy buy one and it looks pretty much identical to an Eskimo that our local fleet farm sells. He took it to south Dakota with us over new years and I was fairly impressed. I have a strikemaster lazer mag and bet it didn’t take him more than a couple seconds longer to get through 8″ than me. Starts easy and seems to run pretty good. Like said before if on a budget don’t count them out…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.