I want to make fabricate my own arrows. Cut, fletch and nock. Ideas anyone?

• O’Meara Outdoors
    In a tree, on a lake

Good early morning!

I’m awake at 5am and scrolling the old telephone for ideas on setting up my own carbon arrows.

I find it interesting with the cutting and fletching of the arrows. I’m 26 and think it may be worth the investment to purchase the cutting jig, fletching jig etc.. ( with Gods permission I have a while to go with archery)

I use hunter classic shafts and love them. Any other ideas for custom setups? I figured it would be a fun off time thing to do.

Many thanks IDO CREW!

Jim

Attachments:
    1. 1BD5C129-821F-4A03-A260-23E108CC208B.jpeg

Pete S

I’d start at Onestringer.com for custom wraps, true custom wraps. Jig, I’ve tried a few, if you’re going to get serious about it, I’d recommend the Bitzenberger (sp???). Lots of vane options, I prefer vanetec with their vt-2000 glue. Tons of fun, post some pics when done

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

You will find arrow building to be a fun hobby. I’ve got a couple Bitzenberger fletching jigs both helical and straight. I’ve used both vanes and feathers, each has their time and place. Dipping the shafts and painting a crest can be time consuming depending on the number of colors. I made up both traditional wood, true fiberglass and aluminum arrows but never did any carbon shafts.
    All my tools are packed away on a shelf in my basement right now as I have not picked up my bow in about 15 years now. When I was active in the sport I spent three hours a day, 4-5 days a week on the practice range and to a tournament 2 weekends a month. It’s am enjoyable sport and relatively in expensive to participate once you make your initial investment. I certainly enjoyed every one of my archery hunting excursions and all the comradeship of the tournament scene.
    Have fun.

O’Meara Outdoors
    In a tree, on a lake

I’d start at Onestringer.com for custom wraps, true custom wraps. Jig, I’ve tried a few, if you’re going to get serious about it, I’d recommend the Bitzenberger (sp???). Lots of vane options, I prefer vanetec with their vt-2000 glue. Tons of fun, post some pics when done

I checked out the site and loved it! I love the idea of wrapping because the amount of personalization an arrow can have with the hunt/hunter. Would a wrap effect the flight at all?

O’Meara Outdoors
    In a tree, on a lake

All my tools are packed away on a shelf in my basement right now as I have not picked up my bow in about 15 years now.

I encourage you to lower the lb wt. and throw some arrows down field again my friend!

As for the tools on a shelf, I hope to someday have the same issue and when I am long gone, my grandchildren find it and become curious. That’s on hell of an heirloom

O’Meara Outdoors
    In a tree, on a lake

So far I haven’t needed to cut my own arrows, but I do need to fletch so here it goes!

I purchased the Bohning fletching jig from my local Fleet Farm. I purchased these extras:

1. Jig
    2. Right helical
    3. Straight vane clamp (comes with jig)
    4. Bohning fletching removal tool
    5. 3” vanes (will be purchasing 4” next time)
    6. Bohning fletch-tite premium glue
    7. Miter sawed my own block for stability.

Below are photos of the purchase. I will post finished photos soon!

Attachments:
    1. 2424E94E-DFF1-4357-8F39-0C05B2B252B6.jpeg

2. FCABD8C9-F20F-433B-A933-5E3E11C9F6BE.jpeg

3. 4C0DE764-F1A6-4C82-9A07-3B8C65718DA0.jpeg

Konk

I think you’ll find that you are not saving any $$ by fletching your own arrows, but it sure is a lot of fun. I purchased the same Bohning jig as you several years ago. I bought wraps from Onestringer, and found a guy that cuts fletching from turkey feathers. I brought him a couple turkey wings and he made me some Ryzer cut feathers. Turned out really cool. Nice think about the natural color turkey feathers is they are weather proof, you don’t have to mess with the powder.

Ivan Knapp

So far I haven’t needed to cut my own arrows, but I do need to fletch so here it goes!

I purchased the Bohning fletching jig from my local Fleet Farm. I purchased these extras:

1. Jig
    2. Right helical
    3. Straight vane clamp (comes with jig)
    4. Bohning fletching removal tool
    5. 3” vanes (will be purchasing 4” next time)
    6. Bohning fletch-tite premium glue
    7. Miter sawed my own block for stability.

Below are photos of the purchase. I will post finished photos soon!

That fletching jig is made right down the road from where I live. I know the owner of Bohning Archery very well

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I have the Bitzenberger (sp???). It’s about 100 but I don’t regret it. Really fun to play around with. I like to switch the vanes around, but the biggest plus is not having to wait 5 days during November when you mess an arrow up. I did see a cool FB about a punch for feathers to make your own. Maybe someone knows where to buy as I thought it was like 30 bucks. You’ll never save money, but neither does golf…

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I have a Bitzenburger Dial O Fletch stored somewhere. If your interested in it send me a PM. I’m a lefty though so I’m thinking its a left helical. You’d have to buy the right clamp???? Got any lefty friends that need their arrows fletched?

O’Meara Outdoors
    In a tree, on a lake

That fletching jig is made right down the road from where I live. I know the owner of Bohning Archery very well
    [/quote]

Well let him know he has a good friend in me! I loved the simplicity of this jig. I had to mess around with the glue thickness and amount due to trial and error, but I am pleased with how it worked!!

O’Meara Outdoors
    In a tree, on a lake

I have the Bitzenberger (sp???). It’s about 100 but I don’t regret it. Really fun to play around with. I like to switch the vanes around, but the biggest plus is not having to wait 5 days during November when you mess an arrow up. I did see a cool FB about a punch for feathers to make your own. Maybe someone knows where to buy as I thought it was like 30 bucks. You’ll never save money, but neither does golf…

Good thing we don’t do this because of money. We can always make more $$$$$!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.