I think the end is in sight.

• grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I was also in the otter tail county area over the weekend. We fished 3 different lakes. Two of them had 12-14″ of ice and one only had 6″.
    Areas of flowing water, culverts, and river mouths are wide open, even way out into the lakes in spots. Be careful out there.
    I’m not sure if the ice will hold up a week or not. The shorelines will go fast.
    Fishing was tough on Saturday and good yesterday.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Did you have good luck up there? We’re going to likely just walk out on some smaller lakes in the area.

We did real well on Sunfish and a few Crappies. Going to do a post with a few pictures soon. Going to be real warm Fri – Sun. in that area. The ice will take a beating. That said I still this there will still be fishable ice for another two weeks. Now if we get some wind and or Rain on those warm days this weekend, I may be wrong about that

glenn57
    cold spring mn

IF… that ice may be safe, I’d certainly be aware of what side of a lake your getting on. With the Temps and sun angle a d depending on the type of shoreline the north sides of lake aren’t going to hold up well

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I am really sad to see it go. I have 4-5 lakes dialed in and eating bluegills every week. No, its too early for me to quit. Really hoping to go again this weekend. This is complete BS. (

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^The fish don’t care if there’s ice or not.

I’m looking forward to dropping the boat in on some late ice spots to catch the same fish with long rods.

There’s something about catching tons of jumbo perch on the river without a boat in sight, knowing there are 300 boats lined up within a mile of the dam upstream scratching out some eaters that brings a smile to my face. This year will bring more of the same just earlier.

FinnyDinDin

There is tons of variation from lake to lake in the northern part of the state from what I am seeing. Some lakes have a foot and a half of solid ice and it’s tight to shore. Others have 9 inches of honeycombed ice and shorelines are opening up. Such an odd year.

I am hoping to get out on red the weekend of the 9th and then I’ll be pulling the boat out and putting the ice gear away.

tim hurley

Said the access was sketchy, think that was because of the rain we got a few weeks ago was running off at the access. At this lake the ice has not pulled away from the shore overall. Sounds like the Ottertail area and points north are good but IMO the metro area is getting sketchy.

10klakes

I am hoping to get out on red the weekend of the 9th and then I’ll be pulling the boat out and putting the ice gear away.

Is there a resort keeping an access open for crappies anglers? I thought a read pretty much all of the resorts pulled their bridges yesterday now that walleye is closed>?

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>

Is there a resort keeping an access open for crappies anglers? I thought a read pretty much all of the resorts pulled their bridges yesterday now that walleye is closed>?

I’ll bring my own bridge. Atv ramps work fine to cross ridges with a wheeler.

I will call before heading up to make sure but I’d be surprised if they don’t let people out with ATV’s. Especially if you stay at their resort.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

That will be a long time to not target bass and walleyes.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That will be a long time to not target bass and walleyes.

Yes it will. Not Target is the Key word. Some people find they can’t keep the bass and Pike off of those Spinner Baits or small rapala’s they use for Slab Crappies jester

Dave maze
    Isanti

I checked a few lakes in east central mn, I’d say it’s done here. I’m sure people will be out, but not me! Saw multiple open water spots where there is typically good ice. Looks like a good weekend to prep the boat.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Pink x raps catch crappies, too

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

[/quote]

Yes, see Cookies post

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.