I think I've heard it all now. Arbys announced a Deer burger!

• haleysgold
    SE MN

Oh deer: Arby’s tests venison burger at select locations

On Tuesday, the Atlanta-based company announced that it will begin testing venison (that’s deer meat for all the non-hunters out there) sandwiches in select markets at the end of October.

The new sandwich is a thick-cut venison steak made from top and bottom round steaks from the hind quarter of the deer, topped with crispy onions and a sweet-tart berry sauce.
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/10/26/oh-deer-arbys-tests-venison-burger-at-select-locations/

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interesting and pretty creative on Arby’s part. I’d try it!

I wonder what kind of venison it actually is? Red Deer?

In Europe, venison is often seen on the menu in restaurants and also in supermarkets and butcher shops. I’m not sure it’s been down to the “fast food” level there, but I’ve certainly seen venison at casual restaurants and pubs. Doesn’t really surprise me that

Venison farming is now a huge business. 2 years ago when I was in New Zealand, I was surprised at the massive scale of venison (Red Deer, mainly) farming on the South Island. I did get a chance to speak to a deer farmer down there and he told me virtually 100% of the venison raised there goes to Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, with a little finding its way to other countries. He said that demand had risen as fast as supply in the last decade.

Grouse

haleysgold
    SE MN

But Arby’s ??!!

I could see restaurants serving it. And you can get venison in some upper class places already.
    You know, actually cooking it “after” it’s ordered.
    But Arby’s would need to precook and keep it heated somehow.
    I know what venison tastes like when it’s over cooked!
    And it takes seconds in my opinion and it gets too done. Anything without the red juices flowing (which I recently found out is NOT blood, it’s a mixture water and a protein called myoglobin) and it’ll be shoe leather.

I don’t know, maybe just me but I’d try it in a restaurant, cooked to order but I’m not eating it at a fast food joint.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m shocked its in steak form and not burger. There arent that many tender steaks on a deer. The pic looks delicious!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There arent that many tender steaks on a deer. The pic looks delicious!

Chemicals can tenderize rusty old fenders. And deer steak.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.