I-Pilot problems with bad wiring

• flanders51

So, it appears that the dealer put in the wrong size wire on my Minkotta Terrova. It’s a 24volt motor with 80 pound thrust. When I really dial the speed up for any reason, the breaker overheats and out goes the motor.

So, my question is for people who may dealt with this before: how hard is it to get new size wire and do this yourself? I have never re-wired a trolling motor. I own a 17ft Alumacraft Trophy and the batteries are stored in the middle compartment underneath the rod storage. My assumption is that all the wiring goes under the upper deck carpeting, etc. How the heck to you even get wire from point A to B?

Should I just take it to a repair person? I don’t want to take it back to the dealer because I don’t like them and they just nickle-and-dime me.

Thanks!

brad-o
    Mankato

I would start where the wire attaches to the recptical. Cut the wire, crimp the new wirer on the old wire, tape the hole mess you don’t want to loose it. Go to the battery area and pull the old out while running the new in.

I would look at the breaker first you might just have a lose wire or bad connection. Or bad breaker.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Where are you located ?

brad-o
    Mankato

Follow proper lock out tag out to. Disconnect the battery before you do any thing

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mine does the same thing. 8 and above it cuts out pretty quick. Mine has the wrong sized breakers right on the battery that need to be changed. Wouldn’t mind getting a better quality plug for it to. Good chance its going to get sent in sometime this winter to have a pro deal with it. This plumber does not like pulling wires.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

2x brad-o I’ve done this same thing not that hard just make sure the two are secured to each other real good otherwise you have a bigger problem and you don’t want that

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Are you sure it is the wires? Do you have the correct breaker? It calls for a 60 amp I think. Those self-resetting 50A will not work on higher settings.
    If you can make the distance with them, I used jumper cables because they were cheaper than buying the ga. wire the install needed. I even upgraded a few wire ga. by doing so.

flanders51

Are you sure it is the wires? Do you have the correct breaker?

I don’t know. I can look at the breaker. How do I tell what kind of breaker it is? The only thing I am sure of is that there is a problem.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

If it the wires and you use Brad o’s method (I use this method too), be real sure the new is well secured to the old before pulling. Had new trailer wiring become separated halfway down the trailer tube, not fun trying to rod a 20′ cable back up so I had something to pull the new wire back with.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.