I Made a Scene While Voting….

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Well the Old Lady is having her morning coffee, smiling, knowing she did her part.

CaptainMusky

I’m miffed no one pointed at my ballot how was I to know how to fill it in? For crying out loud no one should have to explain how to fill this out we’ve been taking standardized tests for 50 years and they’ve all been the same. Fill in the circle don’t use an x

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The woman at my polling place demonstrated by filling Walz in for me. I thanked her.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The woman at my polling place demonstrated by filling Walz in for me. I thanked her.

Well then congrats I guess, hope we have another great 4 years!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Or move to Florida where we know how to vote

No hanging chads this year?

That was 20 years ago.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^Are FL leaders still in a Civil War with Disney?

The social issues are hard to keep track of, or give a sh** about in politics.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

There is a spot on top of the ballot to show examples of how to properly vote. I would think it’s policy for officials to only use that designated area when providing assistance

X2

Gitchi Gummi

My wife asked me a great question when I got home. She said, “Would you have done the same thing if it was the other guy’s box she kept pointing at?”

I thought about it for a second and responded that I probably wouldn’t have even noticed that she was subliminally telling me who to vote for, since my my was made up already. If she would have pointed and tapped (and tapped more) on the box I was already going to fill out it probably wouldn’t have had any effect that I would have noticed.

I respect you and your contributions to this forum B-man, but the above comment really didn’t sit well with me. So if she was pointing at the other box, you would have had no problem with it? That’s pretty ironic if you ask me.

As with all volunteer positions, if you think you can do a better job, you’re more than welcome to volunteer.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

my $.02:

I’m glad that you are an informed voter who is aware of his surroundings and cares about the process. The historical average is a disheartening 40% of eligible voters even vote during midterm elections.

There is no reason that someone should point at anything on the ballot. That’s not their job and the errors of their way should definitely be addressed. It’s very difficult to know intent with a vague description of the events and not being there.

I highly doubt that a major race like the governor position is something voters are deciding on as they wait in line or fill out a ballot. My guess is that regardless of what her intentions were…they did absolutely nothing to sway votes.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

From the 2022 State of Minnesota ELECTION JUDGE GUIDE

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/media/4905/election-judge-guide.pdf

Some jurisdictions provide demonstration ballots in the polling place materials for your use, while others print demonstration ovals on the receipt voters receive from the Roster or Registration Judge. Whatever the case, remember to remain impartial as you work with voters. Never demonstrate using an official ballot and do not point to a specific candidate or party when demonstrating how to mark a ballot. Specific ballot marking instructions for different types of ballots and elections are below.

-J.

Dan
    Southeast MN

If what you saw happened B-man you’re right, what she did was wrong, and a formal complaint is warranted.

Could’ve probably done without the raising your voice and swearing in public like that.

And in a sign of what this “outdoors” site has become, one of your first thoughts after all this was “I need to run home and post about this on that fishing site.”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The historical average is a disheartening 40% of eligible voters even vote during midterm elections.

Likely because they have watched the candidate do nothing for the good of the people. Red, Blue or Green these people are all the same. Watch and see how things change after this election. It will be more of the same which was more of the same which was more of the same which was more of the same……….

This country can’t hardly afford to have politicians any more.

Jimmy Jones

I’d bet that the poor woman’s eye contact was straight ahead while talking to the voters. Where her figure went was probably about as meaningless as was the actions of the original poster.

I too am one of those persons who always looked at Bman’s postings about Lake Superior and his kids and now I feel that he should stick with such postings and stop looking like a jackass by posting something as stupid as this.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Some jurisdictions provide demonstration ballots in the polling place materials for your use, while others print demonstration ovals on the receipt voters receive from the Roster or Registration Judge. Whatever the case, remember to remain impartial as you work with voters. Never demonstrate using an official ballot and do not point to a specific candidate or party when demonstrating how to mark a ballot. Specific ballot marking instructions for different types of ballots and elections are below.

-J.

On a serious note, a sample ballot is what is supposed to be used. This is what was at my polling place and what should be at every polling place. Everything went smoothly at mine. I was just hoping the ballot machine could also check my powerball tickets.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Red, Blue or Green these people are all the same. Watch and see how things change after this election. It will be more of the same which was more of the same which was more of the same which was more of the same……….

If you believe that then why do you keep creating political posts telling people to vote?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Red, Blue or Green these people are all the same. Watch and see how things change after this election. It will be more of the same which was more of the same which was more of the same which was more of the same……….

If you believe that then why do you keep creating political posts telling people to vote?

I consider them a welfare check to see that you are still alive and reading the forum.

Deuces

If what you saw happened B-man you’re right, what she did was wrong, and a formal complaint is warranted.

Could’ve probably done without the raising your voice and swearing in public like that.

And in a sign of what this “outdoors” site has become, one of your first thoughts after all this was “I need to run home and post about this on that fishing site.”

X2

gonefishin

Earlier this year I signed up to be a poll judge as the local newspaper had an article on election judge shortage. So sent in the app, went through the 8 hours or so of training and became a judge.

Yesterday started at 6:00 AM with set up and finished a 9:00 PM. In 12 hours of working, you pretty much see a wide diversity of folks, from the first time voters to those that can’t comprehend anything, to those that complete the form in a few seconds to those who take 15 mins, those that are checking things out on their phone, etc.

During the day we all rotate through the various stations including handing out ballets. There really was no training on how to hand out the ballets, so I pretty much just followed what I had experienced over the years. Informed there were two sides to the ballet, completely fill in the oval, pens at the stations, and location of the scanning machine.

As over the years it has been drilled into us to completely fill in the oval, I made sure to touch on this and for the first few hours pointed at an oval on the ballet somewhere in the top/middle. I don’t even recall what office was in the location, but as the day went on I thought to myself, is any voter paying close attention and I might be swaying their vote. Some folks really do need a lot of hand holding so to speak to figure things out. So I changed to pointing out the oval at the top of the ballet that was already shaded in.

Every encounter/ballet hand off with a voter is different, so for that lady to point out the exact location each time would have required a lot of effort and hats off to B for bringing this to their attention. Her comment on being random doesn’t cut it with me after having doe this for hours yesterday.

All in all, my thoughts for the day were, we are very lucky to live in a country that allows for a very orderly election.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>
    My wife asked me a great question when I got home. She said, “Would you have done the same thing if it was the other guy’s box she kept pointing at?”

I thought about it for a second and responded that I probably wouldn’t have even noticed that she was subliminally telling me who to vote for, since my my was made up already. If she would have pointed and tapped (and tapped more) on the box I was already going to fill out it probably wouldn’t have had any effect that I would have noticed.

I respect you and your contributions to this forum B-man, but the above comment really didn’t sit well with me. So if she was pointing at the other box, you would have had no problem with it? That’s pretty ironic if you ask me.

As with all volunteer positions, if you think you can do a better job, you’re more than welcome to volunteer.

I didn’t say that I wouldn’t have had a problem with it, I said that I probably wouldn’t have noticed the subliminal hint if it was the box my mind was already looking to fill.

Umy
    South Metro

Gonefishin is spot on.
    Have done this MANY times over the years myself. ( election volunteer)
    no matter what you think of B-Mans actions or motivations he was right to point this out.
    Sharing it with his friends on IDO? That’s his choice. You’re here reading it and responding to it, what does that say?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

^Are FL leaders still in a Civil War with Disney?

The social issues are hard to keep track of, or give a sh** about in politics.

Yeah, the children’s corporation who enjoy special autonomy decided to voice their support of k-3rd graders being exposed to gender and sexuality discussions.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Well it worked, he is staying for another few years.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

B-Man as Bigill said as an election judge in Minnesota you are not supposed influence a vote. When the wife and I voted yesterday, they handed us the ballot and told us to completely fill in the box. We did not have the normal ellipses to fill in but had a rectangle box to fill in.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

B man I’m in your corner nice job

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Seriously if you don’t know how to fill out a ballot you need to go back to grade school. All you do is fill in circles with a pen next to the candidate you support. It’s not rocket science.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

It’s not rocket science.

Well, for some it is. 2 of the 4 voters in front of me had their ballots rejected. I’ll assume they voted for 2 candidates from the same party or voted for both parties candidates…

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well, for some it is. 2 of the 4 voters in front of me had their ballots rejected. I’ll assume they voted for 2 candidates from the same party or voted for both parties candidates…

Then they are morons and their ballot should not be counted. It’s in big black bold English letters that say “vote for one candidate.” Not sure what is confusing about that.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I am assuming they were not proficient in reading or speaking english.

-J.

David Bollig

Wow, a volunteer taps on a form and causes a voters brain to respond with “oh that’s who I vote for”. I realize years of trump lies have corrupted a lot more brains then this lady did. Why don’t you volunteer to work elections if your so concerned. This site has too often turned from fishing to politics, the owner should be ashamed, but of course he is a trump supporter and allows election conspiracy cranks space.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

This site has too often turned from fishing to politics, the owner should be ashamed, but of course he is a trump supporter and allows election conspiracy cranks space.

You are here of your own willingness to be here. You have the choice to leave if you don’t like what you see. You will be missed. wave

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘I Made a Scene While Voting….’ is closed to new replies.