I know my head can be very thick…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

So I’m hoping one of you folks can explain this to me so it makes sense. Type slow so I can stay caught up.

I sent this email to Kohler for an answer.

Kohler Generator 6.5 1995 While reading up on this generator, I found I was checking the oil incorrectly according to the manual. I assumed that one would screw in the dip stick, then remove it to check for Min/Max oil on the dipstick.

Under “Oil Check” it states: “To check oil level, remove dipstick and wipe the end clean, place bottom thread of dipstick against oil fill hole and remove. >>Do not screw in dipstick when checking oil level.<< Level should be between MIN and MAX marks on dipstick.

Then on the next page under “Changing Oil & Filter” it says: Stop generator set. Wait a few minutes for oil to return to oil pan. Remove dipstick and wipe clean, >>reinsert as far as possible and remove to check oil level.<< Add oil, as necessary, to bring level up to MAX mark.”

That’s quite a bit of difference in taking readings both ways.

**************The reply was:
    Good morning,

Thank you for contacting Kohler Power Systems, it looks like the first one for, “Oil Check” that would be to checking the level and the second one, “Changing Oil and Filter” would be checking the level after draining and refilling. The first one would be correct to just check the level of the oil.
    ***************My Reply was:
    Good Morning,
    With all due respect, since you are the manufacturer of this generator….that doesn’t make any sense. Why would the level be different when checking the oil compared to checking the oil level after changing it?

Shouldn’t the engine require a min and max level at all times?

************There Reply:
    Hello,
    I hope this helps explain more the difference between Oil check and Oil Changing.

Oil Check is to insert dipstick it in all the way but it does not say screw it tight and the unscrew it. It just says insert and remove, so you would just remove, wipe clean and set it back down into the hole and remove and check the level. If you screw it in and then remove it the oil level will be reading higher than it really is.

**********Last message from Kohler (they gave up on trying to explain this to me.
    Please see below it is directly out of the Honda Engine Manual. Unfortunately, we cannot provide PDF version of this manual any longer as we no longer buy Honda engines. You would be able to find this manual online. Page 28 just tells you what type of oil to use. (I’ve attached the page they sent below)

I’m not sure how they figured out I have a Honda engine in this Kohler Gen, but I know they did use Hondas for a while. (I don’t know if it’s a Honda or not) The difference between screwing in the dipstick and resting it on the top of the threads is 1/2 inch. Changing the oil and filter takes 1.9 quarts.

Since Kohler can’t seem to answer this question, any help out there?

Attachments:
    1. Honda-Oil-Check.png

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You leave it unscrewed to check the oil. You screw it in so you don’t lose the dipstick.

CaptainMusky

My only guess is that if you want to just check the oil level you dont need to screw it in and just make sure there is oil between the two marks, but when you are actually changing the oil you want to make sure its full which is why they tell you to screw it in. Doesnt make a ton of sense I would think you would want to check the oil level the same way regardless, but yeah that is perplexing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ah…someone is as mystified as I!
    I feel better now.

Dutch, the instructions tell the own to check the oil screwed in, but on the very next page, they say to check the oil without screwing it in. (or was it the other way around?)
    Do you work for Kohler perhaps? )

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Pretty confusing. Here’s what I’d do: Drain and refill with new filter and oil…exactly 1.9 qt. Start motor and run a minute or two. Turn it off, let it sit for a few minutes to stabilize the oil level. Then check the dipstick and see which method shows the level as “full”. Tattoo that method on your forehead, backwards so you can read it in a mirror. smile

Deuces

Does it actually say screw it all the way in, or does it say put in as far as possible? Never clarifies whether to screw or not in that context, but it is clarified to not screw it in previously.

Seems like you’re overthinking this one.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ah…someone is as mystified as I!
    I feel better now.

Dutch, the instructions tell the own to check the oil screwed in, but on the very next page, they say to check the oil without screwing it in. (or was it the other way around?)
    Do you work for Kohler perhaps? )

I believe this is a task the Captain passes down to the first mate. cool

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Does it actually say screw it all the way in, or does it say put in as far as possible? Never clarifies whether to screw or not in that context, but it is clarified to not screw it in previously.

Seems like you’re overthinking this one.

Since they didn’t use the same text in both applications, it lead me to think “putting it in as far as possible”, meant screw in”

You may have the answer there Beads.

Umm Dutchy…I just read an “try” to interpret the instructions. The Admiral is the one that changes and checks the oil. coffee

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just came in from Kohler! This totally explains it!

Hello,
    The manual states that when oil is being changed, for the initial start with new oil, you should bring it up to the max line. When you are checking the oil in between oil readings, the acceptable level for oil is between the Min and Max lines on dip stick tube.

If you are still confused, please provide your zip code to point you to your nearest Distributor for assistance.

stevenoak

Couple years ago, I changed oil in my 8 or so small engines. Measure the oil till full, then wrote it on the engine cover. Or you could go to college for 4 years and get an engineering degree, and the owner’s manual will make perfect sense. Till last year I would say I run Hondas, I don’t check oil. But my mower has a paper-thin valve cover. That style is very dependable to leak.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Or you could go to college for 4 years and get an engineering degree, and the owner’s manual will make perfect sense.

Or the help desk at Kohler would make sense.

Iowaboy1

Okay, the way this set up works is this and you have to love engineers and then expect someone to correctly write the instructions.
    I pick on engineers because they make it so easy to do so and oil capacity in anything these days is flat out stupid, it cant be, two full quarts, or four full quarts, it now is one point nine, four point three and so on.
    This in part is due to the use of liters for part of the standard.
    WHO HAS TIME to figure nine tenths of quart??!!
    Why cant they just say, one quart and twenty seven ounces??????

So, to this dilemma with the dang dipstick and how to read it, I would like to call the dipstick who engineered it and,,,,,,, oh never mind.

Anyhow, when you CHANGE the oil and filter and run it then let it rest for a bit, you screw the dipstick in so that you are reading where the oil should be at the FULL mark if you added the correct amount, too much, drain some out, not enough, add more.
    Make sense?? in essences you are checking to make sure you added the right amount that the engineers designed the reservoir to hold.

Now, when you are checking it, after you have wiped the dipstick clean, you simply rest it on its threaded counterpart, you are checking to see if it is between the add and full mark.
    a little below half, add enough to bring it up to the halfway point.
    ( I am sure someone thought you were supposed to read between the lines to save the time of screwing the dipstick back in as halfway would be the same as full if you did screw it back in ) uh, pardon the pun.

There may be a time where its way over the full mark, this can be due to someone overfilling it or the engine is taking on unburnt fuel or coolant.
    To make it simple, as long as it is at the halfway mark, run it, if its at the full mark, run it as an ounce or two is not going to cause problems unless its on a motor that will run leaning one way or another like a mower on a sidehill, auger, etc.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they just couldnt write it one way and not two or three ways.

I hope this makes sense.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I’m sure Mr.Petersen will let you know the proper way.
    Fill it up to the threads and your go to go.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ah Sheldon, I understand that perfectly.

When the oil/filter is changed it should be screwed in and be at the full mark.
    After that, I’m just checking to see if the oil level is within the RANGE.

I thought about sending your reply (after editing) to Kohler, but I’m afraid they wouldn’t understand it.

Thanks Son! bow

stevenoak

Once you figure out the exact ounce when you change oil. Some genius comes out with a premium, higher capacity filter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.