I got a hook stuck in my finger

• James Fox
    Delta Junction, Alaska

don’t worry the only thing that actually hurt was the tetnis shot.

curleytail

Look up how to remove a hook using a stout piece of string. Granted I have not used it but if I ever get a hook stuck in me that’s the method I’ll use.

I don’t think an ER visit would be necessary with a hook that size. An 8/0 musky treble… now those will make you watch what you’re doing when you reach into the net with a green 25 pounder!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m too big of a baby to try and pull it backwards. Had 3 instances, one in top of thumb, one in palm and one in tha face. After the one in my face, I now carry a side cutter at all times. If the barb did not pass thru, I just push it through and cut, then pull it out easy peasy. Its amazing how tough the skin is really trying to push the hook through.

Deuces

Its amazing how tough the skin is really trying to push the hook through

Only stuck myself once with a treble, right in a bad spot too on the finger where it was calloused up good. Think I stretched my skin up off my finger 3/4″ before it finally poked thru. You ain’t kidding it’s tough.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Did this last summer. Tried the wire thing while on the boat. Ended up with my hand in the cooler and the a pair pliers. Back to fishing.

Attachments:
    1. 733990E8-96CF-4272-B4F0-48A498F07C6F.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You guys think a hook to the hand sucks? Try taking on a crank bait to the head. In order to remove the hooks, they need to inject your skull with a shot of lidocaine.

Dan Hofman

String method worked great the one time I tried it. Partner stuck a large treble hook into meat of his hand. He first tried pulling it out with pliers. Remote camping trip so it really saved the day.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We had a guy hook himself in the hand while in Canada last fall. A few lessons learned. 1. Stay calm and settle down prior to doing anything. 2. If others you are fishing with are close by – don’t do anything until you find them. Don’t attempt to remove by yourself unless totally necessary or you REALLY know what you are doing. 3. If you decide to cut the hook with a side cutters ( hopefully a knipex ) DO NOT cut it to close to where it enters the skin – leave enough hook exposed so it doesn’t retract under the skin and you still have enough hook exposed to work with.

A guy in our fishing party managed to embed a large treble hook into his hand while unhooking a large pike. He somewhat panicked and without seeking help from our boat ( with people who have a decent amount of experience with such situations) decided to try and remove it himself. After a shot attempt at backing it back out ( should have been rather easy since the barb is pinched as required where we were fishing ) he made the decision to cut the hook and did so almost flush with his skin. The hook them recessed into the skin leaving no part of the hook visible. With nothing left to work with he ended up taking a rather long drive to a clinic. They told him he would have to go to a different clinic the next day ( even a longer drive ) after a rather long wait ( almost all day ) he finally got treated. They ended up doing a fair amount of cutting to get it out and he ended up with a rather LARGE medical bill. In the end he only ended up fishing 3 days out of the 7 we were there. Another lesson. Check with your medical insurance to see if they cover medical in Canada. Some do and some don’t.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Only once have I ever buried a barb. It was on a brook trout. Small hook at least. Still sucks when your hand is connected to a flopping fish though. I’ve always prided myself for avoiding this especially with my tendency to avoid nets.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The hook removal with a string works great if you have someone who is willing to yank it hard. We forgot the net and my brother (from CA doesn’t do a lot of fishing) caught a pike and I said I would hand land it for him. When the fish was getting pulled over it shook his head and the lure found a new spot to grab onto. Lucky after a while of me trying to remove it myself since the others I was with were too scare to pull hard enough my cousin walked in. It was out in 2 seconds.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7340.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Be cautious all you do it yourselfers. If it’s near a tendon, have a doc check it out.

I’ve pulled a good number of hooks out of folks but I won’t touch one that’s close or near a tendon.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

A friend got one stuck in his hand shortly after I read about the removal method with heavy string/line. He pushed down on the hook to so the barb cleared and I gave it a good snap. It worked very well.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The couple of times that I’ve got hooked I chose the push through method. Treble hooks can be a challenge without a good pair of side cutters.

James Fox
    Delta Junction, Alaska

btw i think that hook was actually really close to the tendon, so we went to the doctor.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Nothing beats the string method, used it on myself quite a few times.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.