I also have a trailer wiring issue…

• matthewkolden

I have a small utility trailer that I rebuilt, had it all powder coated, new decking and sides etc. all new basically.

So I ran new wiring and i’m having weird issues. I don’t get running lights, my blinkers work but they both blink whether i select left or right, my brake lights both work. I have taken apart and cleaned every area where wires ground to the trailer so I can’t possibly imagine i’m not making good contact. I’m so confused and frustrated, and clearly not very talented with electrical. Attached area couple pics of the trailer in question, and the wiring situation… What the heck could I be missing here? I’m hoping it’s something really simple, obvious and stupid, even though that means i’ll have to admit my stupidity.

Attachments:
    1. Trailer-3.jpg

2. Trailer-2.jpg

matthewkolden

I should also add, I bought a 2nd adapter to make sure the original wasn’t messed up, same issues occurred. I’ve also removed the adapter and just plugged the 4 pin in directly and still experience the same issues.

Attachments:
    1. Trailer-1-1.jpg

2. Trailer-4.jpg

3. Trailer-1.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Run a dedicated ground wire to each light instead of grounding thru the frame. Do this and I’m betting all your issues will be solved.

Deuces

Run a dedicated ground wire to each light instead of grounding thru the frame. Do this and I’m betting all your issues will be solved.

Sure set way to go. Problem is im a lazy F@$% after work is done so I just get er done on stuff like this.

I don’t see where your lights are grounding to the trailer, is it the bracket themselves? They will not ground through that paint even with a star washer on there. grind the spot off to bare metal, reconnect.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

run wires for each ground and get rid of the but splices

matthewkolden

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

Sure set way to go. Problem is im a lazy F@$% after work is done so I just get er done on stuff like this.

I don’t see where your lights are grounding to the trailer, is it the bracket themselves? They will not ground through that paint even with a star washer on there. grind the spot off to bare metal, reconnect.

For what its worth, the paint has all been ground down under those star washers. It’s very bare metal under there. But maybe I need to do this dedicated ground thing.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I’ll try this.

iowa_josh

Also that is no place for wire nuts and the eye connector that is grounding to the trailer is the kind that corrodes inside where you can’t really see.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

each light needs it’s own ground. I followed the instructions from the light kit I bought on my old trailer and nothing worked like it should. take a metal brush wheel and put it on a cordless. get that shiny metal exposed and use a self tapping pan head skrew to hold the dedicated ground tight to the frame. These self tapping skrews are one of the greatest inventions since the internet. I bet this will solve your issues.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

use a self tapping pan head skrew to hold the dedicated ground tight to the frame

By definition, a dedicated ground does not use the frame. A dedicated ground wire runs from the trailer plug to each light.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

All connections should be soldered, shrink rapped, and taped. No butt connectors or Scotch locks.

matthewkolden

So, you guys are right and each light needed a dedicated ground. I ran a ground to the lights instead of the grame and everything now works as it should.

Im going to use the trailer tonight and then re-wire it all, properly, with proper connections, heat wrapped etc etc.

Thank you all for the help, really saved me a lot of extra frustration, and i learned something.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

Please send pics when you are done!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.