Hybrid Trucks

• haleysgold
    SE MN

I got a pile of information on the thread for trucks with a 6 1/2′ box

I found a few but didn’t pull the trigger on one for various reasons.
    Now I’m thinking I might wait for the 2024’s to be released and have been told, the price increase over 23’s will be relatively small.

I have noticed a lot of the Hybrid engines still around on the lots.
    In fact, they have some decent incentives on them right now but most are short box that I saw.
    These would be 2023 F150’s with the 3.5 Powerboost.

Can’t say I’m big of any of the electric engines yet, even though this one you never plug in and it recharges itself.
    But then again, I don’t know much about these Hybrid types.

Anyone on here have any information on them or have one?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There is almost a 2 year waiting list for a Tundra Hybrid. A salesman last November at the dealership I bought an SUV at was one of them. He said he wasn’t expecting it for another year.

Doesn’t really offer much for info on the vehicle or class of vehicle itself, but it tells you the demand for it.

CaptainMusky

They cant give F150s away these days so if that is what he wants he shouldnt have a problem finding one.

haleysgold
    SE MN

They cant give F150s away these days so if that is what he wants he shouldnt have a problem finding one.

I sure see a lot of them on the road so somebody’s buying them.

Is there something in your reply about Hybrids that I’m not following?

CaptainMusky

Is there something in your reply about Hybrids that I’m not following?

No, just that they are not selling well. Hybrids are definitely the way to go if you can find the right one for you. Do NOT do EV.

big_g
    Isle, MN

As far as wait times, and this goes on any vehicle, check multiple dealerships. Factories have a thing called “allocation” where dealerships that sell the most trucks, have the best access to them on orders. They will also allocate vehicles based on a dealer taking some slow moving vehicles on, to move ahead in line.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Another thing I don’t understand.

A Hybrid runs off batteries when not using the gas in the engine so why is the MPG the same on either on?
    Shouldn’t a Hybrid have a LOT better mpg?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t say exactly if a hybrid truck is the same as a hybrid SUV, but I can tell you my own hybrid SUV experience using one since November.

The overall mileage if you drive an equal combination of city and highway driving is pretty equal to a standard vehicle. Where the hybrid sees a significant bump in mileage is when city driving because it uses EV battery power at slower speeds and stop and go driving. The mileage actually goes down on the highway slightly.

Weather and temperature also play a role. When it’s colder out, mileage goes down. In the summer, it goes up. Like 20% better.

If you mostly use your truck for highway driving and towing, I don’t think you would see any advantage with a hybrid. If you use it for some city driving with occasional highway and towing, then it would probably be a good choice.

Hope that helps

CaptainMusky

Another thing I don’t understand.

A Hybrid runs off batteries when not using the gas in the engine so why is the MPG the same on either on?
    Shouldn’t a Hybrid have a LOT better mpg?

If the hybrid isn’t rated for better mileage I’d never get it. It certainly should be better in town. The one thing I know is that few people with an ecoboost get what the sticker says.

Jason

The powerboost doesn’t have the energy to preform the dutys of a tow vehicle by itself. It is intended to assist the main engine at slower speeds. While towing at 60 mph it’s running off the engine and your mileage will be the same.

B-man

My Dad has a new F-150 Powerboost, he got it last fall.

He’s been a Eco-boost guy since they came out and loves his hybrid so far.

Those Eco-boost 3.5’s have legit power, and he says his Powerboost “has more” waytogo

I myself fail to see how hybrids that get 1 mpg better fuel economy are “saving the planet”, but from anecdotal experience they’re funner to drive lol

His is a Lariat with a tailgate that has more features than my entire truck does combined. If I had one the only difference would be I’d be buying new tires more often. mrgreen

Michael Best

The Toyota Tundra hybrid has a single electric motor that is in between the engine and the transmission. So when the electric motor is what is being used it’s sending its power through the 10 speed transmission. If more power is needed the twin turbo V6 kicks in by sending power through the clutch that is in between the engine and the electric motor.
    The battery doesn’t need to be plugged in to charge since it charges while you are driving the truck.
    The hybrid model has 437 hp and 538 lbs of torque. That’s 48 more hp then the non hybrid and 104 lbs more torque.

Jason

For comparison sake myself and a group guys drove out to West Yellowstone snowmobiling 3 weeks ago each pulling very simular 22′ aluminum in-line V-nosed box trailers with 3 sleds each. Total of 2350 miles roundtrip running side by side.
    Buddy’s truck ’23 c/c powerboost got 6.6 mpg average.
    My truck ’24 6.7 HO got 9.8 mpg average.
    We drove into fairly heavy crosswinds both directions which sucked and we tried to maintain 80-90mph throughout ND and Montana where we could. Time savimgs was more important than fuel costs.
    Both trucks did what they needed to do. My 6.7 would have approx 240 miles more range than the gasser and didn’t make you as white knuckled when the winds where hollowing. The powerboost liked 6-8th gear. The 6.7 liked 9-10th gear.
    Yes it was a great trip!

bigstorm
    Southern WI

While I was window shopping before getting serious and buying a truck last week, I asked a family member that is a mechanic at a Ford dealer about the 3.5 eco hybrid trucks (think its labeled as the Powerboost?). He said not to let the hybrid part of the truck scare you off, they are a solid setup.

topshotta

I would trust the Toyota hybrid setup, they have been making hybrid drive systems for a long time, and many of the older prius hybrid cars are running around with 300k+

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.