Gander Mountain and CC

• thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I was talking to a buddy of mine down here today and he said they stopped at a local GM store before heading duck hunting this weekend (TN so season is still open). Upon walking in, they noticed several signs stating that concealed weapons were not allowed in the store. My buddy was carrying and chose to ignore the signs. He was confronted about it and after a discussion, was asked to zip his jacket up more to completely conceal it. While my buddy acknowledges that he technically was in the wrong, he has chosen to no longer shop at that particular store because of their stance on CC.

Are you guys aware if this is a corporate wide CC ban by GM? Do others like Cabelas or Bass Pro have similar policies? While I don’t have a CC permit, I do support the right. If this is a GM corporate policy and the other major outdoor stores don’t have a similar policy, then GM has seen the last of my business.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

Not sure about those you mentioned, but Fleet Farm is a HUGE gun rights supporter. You can CC there all you want! You know what they say “If Fleet don’t have it, you don’t need it”.

Nut

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Just curious of all of their mounts were off the walls as well. Rumor had it all GM stores were taking them down because of the animal activist groups. The CEO’s wife was the one that decided. I have since stopped supported any GM store.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Again, in case anyone doesn’t realize this, GM is owned by Holiday Corp so if you have issues supporting GM, you shouldn’t be buying gas and goods from Holiday Station Stores either. Start writing letters announcing your position of boycott. As long as they can get away with it, they’ll do it.

I can’t speak for Cabela’s but Fleet Farm is still my “go to” shop. What they don’t have, the internet does.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Hell, I saw a guy open carrying at Babies R Us. I find it unbelievable that GM won’t allow a law-abiding citizen to exercise his/her right yet a baby store will.

johnee

There’s a lot of moving parts and factors that can’t be accounted for here.

First off, though, if as you say, your buddy admits he was in the wrong by NOT having his weapon concealed, then why make an issue of this? Sounds to me like this wouldn’t have been an issue at all, regardless of the signs they have posted, except for the fact that he didn’t conceal his piece.

Secondly, state and local ordinances impact CC in a variety of ways. Any city or town can ban CC outright or can ban it in certain places and that’s that. Is such a ban or restrictions in place in the town where the Gander Mtn was?

I don’t get this trend where guys are trying to make out that outdoor retailers are anti-gun. It was the same with all the rumors about D!cks and other places “going anti” after the Sandy Hook shootings because some branches chose to take AR platforms off the shelves for a while.

Retailers are in business to make money. Sometimes, this involves being responsive to the local community and choosing NOT to get in the face of the locals and rub salt in wounds when it comes to sensitive times and topics.

Being pro-gun-rights is great, but retailers or individuals can be pro-gun without behaving like in-your-face jackasses.

I’m sorry your buddy had an issue, but I don’t think this adds up to Gander being anti-gun. Totally up to him where he wants to shop, but I don’t see that Gander caused this issue and even without the signs posted, they would have been in the right to ask him to zip it or leave when his piece was exposed.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Never heard of that at a gander around here but if you are concealing properly nobody should ever know anyways. I think open carry in an urban environment is inappropriate and marks you as a priority target to a bad guy. Not to mention it scares people. What is the up side?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds a little John Waynish…. You can CC in GM here…. and as far as the mounts, they disappeared with the mountain about 3 remodels ago… Like the added twist of the ceo’s wife story though…

(FWIW, I have never seen a mount in my FF either)

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Good points FG! I didn’t consider local ordinances.

My buddy acknowledges that he was in the wrong, but since that particular GM doesn’t allow CC, then he doesn’t want to shop there.

I will have to do a little research to understand why that store doesn’t allow it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

if you are concealing properly nobody should ever know anyways. I think open carry in an urban environment is inappropriate and marks you as a priority target to a bad guy. Not to mention it scares people. What is the up side?

I could not agree more, you are just asking for trouble when you open carry. MN allows open carry but I choose not to, god forbid I would ever find myself in a situation like Columbine but like Suzuki said why would you want to give a bad guy the upper hand? Who do you think the shooter would target first? Unfortunately I think some guys that open carry like to draw attention to themselves showing off that they have a weapon on them. I do not want people around me to know that I am carrying for my own safety. WI does not allow open carry, I wish MN was the same.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Actually open carry has it’s place. Whenever I’m up north hunting I like having a pistol on my side when in the woods etc… Not uncommon to see this up north amongst others. Now, around the cities, I don’t need to freak out people.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Secondly, state and local ordinances impact CC in a variety of ways. Any city or town can ban CC outright or can ban it in certain places and that’s that. Is such a ban or restrictions in place in the town where the Gander Mtn was?
    Grouse

Your going to have to explain this. Where are you getting your info? Minnesota statute 471.633 states “The legislature preempts all authority of a home rule charter or statutory city including a city of the first class, county, town, municipal corporation, or other governmental subdivision, or any of their instrumentalities, to regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by them except that:

(a) a governmental subdivision may regulate the discharge of firearms; and

(b) a governmental subdivision may adopt regulations identical to state law.”

That means the state regulates CC NO OTHER COUNTY,CITY OR TOWN CAN REGULATE OR BAN CC.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

Steve-

Open carry is legal in Wisconsin. There are areas where you can not open carry such as court houses and schools, but generally it is legal.

Nut

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for the correction that is good to know, I guess everyone just needs to use common sense, Kooty made a good point about up north and in the woods, I have no problem with that but in a public place with lots of people around not so much.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I agree about the carry in a populated area. It tends to freak people out. As a LEO I will speak with the person to try and get a feel for what they are up to, but can’t go farther than that in most instances. It is usually the ones that just want to “stir the pot” that are doing this, but is their legal right.

Nut

johnee

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

Your going to have to explain this. Where are you getting your info? Minnesota statute 471.633 states “The legislature preempts all authority of a home rule charter or statutory city including a city of the first class, county, town, municipal corporation, or other governmental subdivision, or any of their instrumentalities, to regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by them except that:

That means the state regulates CC NO OTHER COUNTY,CITY OR TOWN CAN REGULATE OR BAN CC.

What do I need to explain? You have just cited Minnesota law. Read the original post. This incident did NOT happen in MN.

There are 49 other states and the issue the original poster is referring happened in TN.

There are all kinds of cities that have gun laws of all kinds that are more restrictive than the state. Just look at the mess in IL where the Chicago-area counties and cities have enacted a web of gun restrictions that are vastly more restrictive than IL state law.

I didn’t look up TN and I don’t know the city where the Gander in question is located. I was simply pointing out that this may not be as simple as Gander having a policy that appears to be “anti-gun”. They may be forced into this policy by a local law or ordinance.

This issue of local laws comes up all the time when people are running their mouth about how this/that retailer is “going anti” because they don’t sell guns at X or Y location. When people dig into this, often they find out that the retailer couldn’t sell guns due to local ordinance or local restrictions make it so burdensome that it isn’t worth it.

Grouse

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

What do I need to explain? You have just cited Minnesota law. Read the original post. This incident did NOT happen in MN.

There are 49 other states and the issue the original poster is referring happened in TN.

There are all kinds of cities that have gun laws of all kinds that are more restrictive than the state. Just look at the mess in IL where the Chicago-area counties and cities have enacted a web of gun restrictions that are vastly more restrictive than IL state law.

I didn’t look up TN and I don’t know the city where the Gander in question is located. I was simply pointing out that this may not be as simple as Gander having a policy that appears to be “anti-gun”. They may be forced into this policy by a local law or ordinance.

This issue of local laws comes up all the time when people are running their mouth about how this/that retailer is “going anti” because they don’t sell guns at X or Y location. When people dig into this, often they find out that the retailer couldn’t sell guns due to local ordinance or local restrictions make it so burdensome that it isn’t worth it.

Grouse

Here is TN law on CC.
    “Tennessee’s preemption statute prevents localities from enacting new laws regulating the possession, ownership or transportation of firearms and ammunition. The law grandfathers local ordinances passed before 1986. But most aspects of licensed handgun carry are regulated exclusively by the state.”
    Do your homework……

johnee

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

Grouse

Here is TN law on CC.
    “Tennessee’s preemption statute prevents localities from enacting new laws regulating the possession, ownership or transportation of firearms and ammunition. The law grandfathers local ordinances passed before 1986. But most aspects of licensed handgun carry are regulated exclusively by the state.”
    Do your homework……

What’s up with the aggressive attitude? First you take me to task after you missed the fact that the OP wasn’t referencing MN. Now you miss my statement “I was simply pointing out that this may not be as simple as Gander having a policy that appears to be “anti-gun”. ” and you cite TN law that may or may not be relevant.

You need to pay more attention to reading comprehension.

Please note my use of the words “may not be”. Because the OP does not state WHERE the store is AND therefore neither you nor I can know if that city has a law against CC.

Your citing of TN law proves nothing per the exception clause that I placed in boldface for you as you obviously didn’t read it in your rush to prove me wrong.

So once again, I state that it is not knowable as to if a local ordinance is actually the cause And again, my broader point, which you seem to be missing, was that people need to consider other reasons before they start trying to infer that the policy in one store indicates a broader policy or attitude on the part of the parent company.

I don’t see any need to get shirty and aggressive with this. I think if you take the time to read and understand my posts you will see that I was clearly NOT stating that my explanation was the one and only correct one. I was stating that there are multiple possibilities BEYOND the parent company having some kind of anti-gun attitude and that it was not possible to know all the factors based on the information provided.

Grouse

Grouse

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

Grouse

Your the one missing the point here. If you don’t know for a fact don’t make sh1t up. When it comes to CC guys want facts not a bunch of B.S. thrown at the wall to see what sticks. I take the responsibility of CC very serious and giving guys false info only adds to the problems. His friend did NOTHING wrong when it comes to TN law. It is that GM who made the issue for him and his right to carry….

big_g
    Isle, MN

you better go bass fishing he didn’t make anything up.. he said there or may not be local ordinances… you jumped on his shi7 about Mn law, he pointed out to you it was not in MN, you get even angrier and quote TN law, that clearly states, there may be ordinances and laws that are in place, if enacted before 1986…??? He points that out to you and you then say he is making stuff up again…??? You want facts… when a story starts out “a buddy I know, told me that” I wouldn’t get the panties in too big of a wad….

johnee

You know, G, there are just some guys that are kept up at night by the very idea, that somewhere, somehow, somone on the internet might be wrong. And it’s their job to straighten everyone out.

Grouse

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.