MInnesota Moose in Jeopardy

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So the Minnesota DNR suspends Moose hunting indefinitely because of low populations yet the fond du lac tribe decides they are going to hunt what they want off reservation. BS!!!!!!!!! How long is this tribal crap going to be tolerated!!!!!!!!

johnee

Unfortunately, there aren’t currently many legal avenues by which anyone can stop it.

With that said, there ARE plenty of places where the state could exert leverage to encourae the band consider where their real interests lie. For example, the state certainly could set up a toll booth on every road leading to and from the reservation. All non-MN license plates would be charged a toll and the proceeds used for wildlife research and habitat improvement. Given the insistance by the band that they keep hunting moose, they should be all in favor of research to discover why populations are declining.

But that would take political will.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know nothing will be done. The only relief is complaining about it to like minded people. And contribute to Steve Fellegy. I would think his netting fight would be closely related to this debacle as well. The raping and pillaging of ceded territory.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Do they record how many they take each year or is it whatever they want to do?

super_do
    St Michael, MN

On a side note, there just happened to be a story on Kare 11 tonight talking about the moose. They are starting to think ticks are the problem. So much for the DNR keeping up there moose updates. Since they started the study, other than the 3 that died right away probably from the stress related to being collared, they only report 2 more dead. One from a confirmed wolf kill and one from something else. Tonight the woman on the news claimed 17% of the collared moose have died. I also heard a report (nothing confirmed) that over half of the 40 plus calves they collared this early summer were killed by wolves and bears.

coppertop
    Central MN

Quote:

Do they record how many they take each year or is it whatever they want to do?

If it is anything like the res where I rifle/deer hunt, pretty much take all they want or probably even need.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I hope it’s run better than they run the other programs like walleye harvest etc… I’m quite skeptical though.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Well, once there’s no more moose left, we can ask them what they think of their heritage then.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Indian hunt cancelled. DNR pressure worked.

johnee

The current Indian policy seems to be to take the opposite position to ANY direction proposed by the State or DNR if it has any relationship to their alleged treaty rights.

They then can negotiate backwards from the that absolute position if they choose.

I think the Indian communities and leadership see this as a way of preventing erosion of their treaty rights and they may be right in this regard to some extent.

However. It’s time for the tribes to also recognize the public preception issue that this is creating. Indians are increasingly being seen as intransiant and out of touch when it comes to the modern-day condition of resources. That preception can have many business and social consequences for the indian communities that need to be recognized and addressed with far more care.

This ham-fisted deny, deny, deny approach is going to have some very far-reaching consequences if it’s overused. In the best interests of everyone, I think the tribes need to overhaul their approach to present a more balanced stance.

Grouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.