cougar in buffalo co.

• illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

saw this on another site. story from winona daily news…

There’s a cougar roaming Buffalo County.

The cougar was photographed by an outdoorsman using a trail camera on newly purchased land between Gilmanton and Mondovi sometime after dark Saturday. A biologist from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources verified the sighting after discovering tracks in the area.

It’s only the second verified cougar sighting in the state this year, and the DNR has been able to confirm visits from just six male cougars to the state since 2008.

The DNR hasn’t been able to find additional evidence that would allow it to track the cougar, though cougars are an elusive species, even in states where their numbers are much higher, and are capable of traveling significant distances without being spotted by humans. One cougar, discovered in the state in the winter of 2009-10 and nicknamed the “St. Croix” cougar, traveled all the way to Connecticut but was then hit and killed by a car.

Cougars rarely attack humans — they prefer deer — but if you encounter one don’t run, the DNR said. Instead, face the cougar and spread your arms to appear larger. The DNR also recommends yelling or throwing rocks and sticks.

If you spot a cougar, and particularly if you’re able to photograph it, the DNR asks you to report it at dnr.wi.gov.

The cougar has company in strange area wildlife sightings this summer: A young male black bear has been sighted several times recently near Lewiston. While black bears are rare in the area, they may be more prevalent this year because males are swimming across the Mississippi River from Wisconsin in pursuit of mates, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

john_steinhauer
    p4

You know I really hope I never have to come across one to try to make myself larger than I am. Honestly if it came down to it me or the cat my last thought is going to be “try to scare it away”.

gobbler
    Central, MN

MN cougar sightings:
    Like i mentioned before. There’s a bunch during the summer in the Lake Minnetonka area every wknd at Fletcher’s. I’ve seen a few in the St. Cloud area around the Red Carpet too. Especially during SCSU’s homecoming in Oct. (That’s when they become a real problem)

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Anybody hear whatever happened to the guy that shot the cougar in SW MN last year?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

He was fined, don’t recall what exactly happened though.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Quote:

MN cougar sightings:
    Like i mentioned before. There’s a bunch during the summer in the Lake Minnetonka area every wknd at Fletcher’s.

Easy to spot a Tonka Couger though, they allhave very spendy collars and frontal flotation bags.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.