Trapping

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I finally got some time to put in a few dryland coon sets after work this afternoon. I originally had planned on having a few water sets out for rats and mink, but the sign just wasn’t there to justify setting. So, tonight I threw in a half dozen sets and now just have to wait until morning to see if I get any action Most of my sets were in cut cornfields, but did set a single dirthole on a logging road. I found a lot of sign in a mudhole in the field next to a small woodlot with a lot of coon and possum tracks. I gang set this area with 3 footholds. I used one pvc set and 2 dirtholes. My favorite set is the pvc because it is productive and very easy to put in. Hopefully by the end of the week I will get all my footholds in the ground and maybe a few bodygrip traps in some trails. I am thinking I am going to wait awhile yet on the water sets. Any other trappers on here?

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

use to trap as a kid what are prices these days?

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

use to trap as a kid what are prices these days?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a frind who just sold some coon and early rats this morning to Wiebke Fur in LaCrosse. His coon topped at $15. He sold 9 coon of various sizes, the low was $5. The rats sold for $2.50-3.00. It is a little early for rats they told him. He also sold 1 mink, but I can’t remember what he got for that.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a frind who just sold some coon and early rats this morning to Wiebke Fur in LaCrosse. His coon topped at $15. He sold 9 coon of various sizes, the low was $5. The rats sold for $2.50-3.00. It is a little early for rats they told him. He also sold 1 mink, but I can’t remember what he got for that.

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

Iowa’s season doesn’t start until this weekend.He really got $15 for his coon? Green or Stretched? Why don’t we have a forum on trapping? Price’s don’t sound very good this year for coon, plus trying to pay gas every day. I plan on waiting as long as I can, until they prime up more. More deer hunting and walleye fishing time

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

Iowa’s season doesn’t start until this weekend.He really got $15 for his coon? Green or Stretched? Why don’t we have a forum on trapping? Price’s don’t sound very good this year for coon, plus trying to pay gas every day. I plan on waiting as long as I can, until they prime up more. More deer hunting and walleye fishing time

jeff_hansen

Hey Am,

I do some trapping… I started the season last Thursday w/ my son. We started out w/ some dryland trail sets w/ 160’s and have caught 17 so far. Yesterday, I popped in another 6 pocket sets in a small creek in the same valley and hope to have some more action tomorrow. I did pick up one ‘coon yesterday in a dryland dirthole that I set up for fox/coyote. You can’t beat getting up w/ the anticipation of checking the ‘line.

good luck,

jeff_hansen

Hey Am,

I do some trapping… I started the season last Thursday w/ my son. We started out w/ some dryland trail sets w/ 160’s and have caught 17 so far. Yesterday, I popped in another 6 pocket sets in a small creek in the same valley and hope to have some more action tomorrow. I did pick up one ‘coon yesterday in a dryland dirthole that I set up for fox/coyote. You can’t beat getting up w/ the anticipation of checking the ‘line.

good luck,

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

Timbergrit, great idea for a form here! Are there any other trappers out there who would be for this? Tough prices or not I’ll have plenty of snares out on the roads!

eyetracker
    waterloo Ia

Timbergrit, great idea for a form here! Are there any other trappers out there who would be for this? Tough prices or not I’ll have plenty of snares out on the roads!

stuart
    Mn.

Now I know who to send my fish guts too!! Watch your mail box.

stuart
    Mn.

Now I know who to send my fish guts too!! Watch your mail box.

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

I used to trap alot as well, NE Iowa, highschool years when the fur prices were pretty good. Made alot of snares. Trapped coon, muskrats, and beaver.
    A trapping forum would be cool.

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

I used to trap alot as well, NE Iowa, highschool years when the fur prices were pretty good. Made alot of snares. Trapped coon, muskrats, and beaver.
    A trapping forum would be cool.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Wats, did you watch that video? If so, how was it?

My Dad has been doing fairly well trapping ‘rats.

Good luck out there!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Wats, did you watch that video? If so, how was it?

My Dad has been doing fairly well trapping ‘rats.

Good luck out there!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Blue-Yep, I watched the video It was very informative and shows a ton of different ways to make a dirthole set. I also learned how to bed a trap tight, and that is something I was not doing right before
    How are the floats working out?
    I ended up with 1 YOY coon this morning and a deer snapped another one. I also had one with coon tracks all over it but it didn’t snap But, that was all my fault because I bedded the trap so tight and got dirt under the pan I also got a few more sets out tonight that I am pretty confident in. Can’t wait till morning

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Blue-Yep, I watched the video It was very informative and shows a ton of different ways to make a dirthole set. I also learned how to bed a trap tight, and that is something I was not doing right before
    How are the floats working out?
    I ended up with 1 YOY coon this morning and a deer snapped another one. I also had one with coon tracks all over it but it didn’t snap But, that was all my fault because I bedded the trap so tight and got dirt under the pan I also got a few more sets out tonight that I am pretty confident in. Can’t wait till morning

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

FYI for all you trappers,

it has been brought up to the Powers that be to get a “Trapping” Section into the Hunting area…..

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

FYI for all you trappers,

it has been brought up to the Powers that be to get a “Trapping” Section into the Hunting area…..

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

Hey AM, On those dirthole sets try putting some house insulation under the pan. Not to much though, just enough to keep the dirt out. Keep your bait close the trap, rule of thumb, where his nose goes his feet will follow. Good luck

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

Hey AM, On those dirthole sets try putting some house insulation under the pan. Not to much though, just enough to keep the dirt out. Keep your bait close the trap, rule of thumb, where his nose goes his feet will follow. Good luck

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks for the tip timbergrit I am going to get some from work tomorrow since the carpenters are doing a little insulating.
    With the late work days and it getting dark out so early , I still don’t have as much of a line out as I would like. I have managed to get 8 more sets out bringing me up to 14 total. I made 5 new sets around a swamp that look realy promising judging by the sign. I am planning on getting the waders out Saturday and make get a few rat traps set to see how they look. I am hoping to also pick up a mink or two in the marsh. I have never gotten a mink yet. The last few days the line has not produced anything But, the anticipation is half the fun. I still can’t believe I haven’t gotten a grinner yet How is everybody else doing?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks for the tip timbergrit I am going to get some from work tomorrow since the carpenters are doing a little insulating.
    With the late work days and it getting dark out so early , I still don’t have as much of a line out as I would like. I have managed to get 8 more sets out bringing me up to 14 total. I made 5 new sets around a swamp that look realy promising judging by the sign. I am planning on getting the waders out Saturday and make get a few rat traps set to see how they look. I am hoping to also pick up a mink or two in the marsh. I have never gotten a mink yet. The last few days the line has not produced anything But, the anticipation is half the fun. I still can’t believe I haven’t gotten a grinner yet How is everybody else doing?

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I have a some 110 conibears and a couple 330’s if anyone is interested in them. Let me dig around the garage and I’ll post them up with definate numbers of each. Doubt I will need them in Duluth.

WOW, 15 bucks for a coon and 3 for rats. I remember the days of 45 bucks for coons, 50-75 for fox, 20 for mink 50 for beavers and 7 bucks for rats.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I have a some 110 conibears and a couple 330’s if anyone is interested in them. Let me dig around the garage and I’ll post them up with definate numbers of each. Doubt I will need them in Duluth.

WOW, 15 bucks for a coon and 3 for rats. I remember the days of 45 bucks for coons, 50-75 for fox, 20 for mink 50 for beavers and 7 bucks for rats.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.