Colorado Elk pics

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

We were warned 2 years ago by our outfitter this is a tough hunt but worth it. The man who runs the show is Bart, Cow creek outfitters. If you are interested PM me. I will get you info. He provided being packed in, tent, cooking utensils, getting packed out. We were responsible for getting are Elk to the horse trail. Might not sound like much but, you would never get to where we were without this service.
    Are drop camp was at 11,000 feet, this is what makes it a tough hunt. All I can say, and for sure 2 others that were in camp , get in shape before going I’m glad I did, a Bull Elk was my reward
    We were just outside of Ridgeway, Co. Hunting the Wetter Horn mnt. range. We drove 8 miles into the mountian with are trucks, 4×4 and chains a must. This got us to base camp. From there we went another 8 miles horse back to drop camp. This is were Bart unloads you, gives you a wave and a wish of good luck, which I had
    This first pick is base camp.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This pic is drop camp. It is a 14×16 wall tent.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This pic is drop camp. It is a 14×16 wall tent.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Living room.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Bed room.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

And kitchen

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

We also had running water just outside of the tent

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

We also had running water just outside of the tent

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This is a pic from where I shot my Bull. To give you an idea of distance, the rock in the center of this pic is as big as a 2 story house. It is 320 yards away.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This is a pic from where I shot my Bull. To give you an idea of distance, the rock in the center of this pic is as big as a 2 story house. It is 320 yards away.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Pic 1 of my Bull. I shot him at 240 yards using a Browning A-Bolt. .270 caliber, Federal Premium, 140gr nosler, accubond. I will have a larger gun next time but, the .270 did its job

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Pic 1 of my Bull. I shot him at 240 yards using a Browning A-Bolt. .270 caliber, Federal Premium, 140gr nosler, accubond. I will have a larger gun next time but, the .270 did its job

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

pic 3. This Bull died 50 yards from where he was shot but he had to drop in this creek bottom It was a chore getting him striaght up 16 feet after field dressing him. These pictures just don’t do justice to were the Bull is actually laying.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

pic 3. This Bull died 50 yards from where he was shot but he had to drop in this creek bottom It was a chore getting him striaght up 16 feet after field dressing him. These pictures just don’t do justice to were the Bull is actually laying.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This dream would not have come true if not for this man, Dan. He was the one who ask me 2 years ago if I would like to do a elk hunt with him! Dah

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This dream would not have come true if not for this man, Dan. He was the one who ask me 2 years ago if I would like to do a elk hunt with him! Dah

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Last day, here comes Bart to pack us out.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Last day, here comes Bart to pack us out.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The 2 young men (hired hands) in the middle of this pic, walked out with at leaste 80lbs. Strapped to there backs. Good guys to have on your side.
    We had over a foot of snow the night before leaving and had to load horses as light as possible. We walked out also. Like I said, get in shape if you want to hunt this camp

Thanks for letting me share my hunt.
    Shoot striaght and, watch your top notch

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The 2 young men (hired hands) in the middle of this pic, walked out with at leaste 80lbs. Strapped to there backs. Good guys to have on your side.
    We had over a foot of snow the night before leaving and had to load horses as light as possible. We walked out also. Like I said, get in shape if you want to hunt this camp

Thanks for letting me share my hunt.
    Shoot striaght and, watch your top notch

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Bret, great pics and recap of your hunt, sounds as if you have a great time. One question, did anyone else get an elk while your were there? and how many elk did you get to see?–John

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Bret, great pics and recap of your hunt, sounds as if you have a great time. One question, did anyone else get an elk while your were there? and how many elk did you get to see?–John

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I seen a total of 10 Elk. I took the only Elk. I believe we should have had at least one more Elk, just needed some people that were in shape The weather was a factor also. They had some snow just before we got there but the warming trend and full moon when we arrived were not a help for us.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I seen a total of 10 Elk. I took the only Elk. I believe we should have had at least one more Elk, just needed some people that were in shape The weather was a factor also. They had some snow just before we got there but the warming trend and full moon when we arrived were not a help for us.

wetboots
    Oakdale MN

Those pics are awesome! I just moved back to Minn from Colo and those pics make me miss that place like crazy. You are sure right about being in shape, last year I hiked at least 5 to 10 miles a day at 9000 to 12000 ft. That looked like a great hunt, congrat on a beautiful bull. And thanks for the pics.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.